If you love lentils like I do, make these asap! Sweet and sour and spicy and completely different from how I usually make my lentils. Lentil Dals are usually very savory or spicy. The Sweet and sour sauce has almond butter and other ingredients to simulate hoisin sauce and works amazingly well with the cooked lentils.
Loaded up to some crisp lettuce leaves with these lentils, topped it with some mango. and yum! Add cilantro or peanuts, mung sprouts, carrot ribbons or all! All plant based, whole food protein, gluten and grain free meal. If you have cooked lentils, this is ready in 10 minutes!
What am I listening to today. A R Rahman again :).
My blog is nominated for The Kitchn’s 2014 Homies awards! Please vote to get it to the top 10 here. Click the +1 on the left (the +1 button will be visible only when you have logged in. Login link is on the top left). will this be the year 🙂 You can use your facebook or twitter login if you don’t have a login on the Kitchn.:) Thank you so much. I would so appreciate your vote!
More asian inspired dishes on the blog
This Spicy Orange Tofu
Teriyaki Tempeh with Soba
Crispy Orange Cauliflower
Veggie Bao- steamed buns
Shumai/Siumai Dumplings filled with zucchini and broccoli in garlic sauce
General Tso’s Tempeh
Soak and cook the lentils with salt and pepper until tender crisp.
Mix the sweet and sour sauce ingredients
Add to lentils and cook until it thickens.
Serve in lettuce wraps, or over rice or other grains!
Sweet and Sour Lentils and Mango Lettuce Wraps. Vegan Glutenfree Recipe
- 1/2 cup (96 g) dry brown lentils I used Indian brown
- 1.5 cups (375 ml) water (scant)
- 1/8 tsp (0.13 tsp) salt
- a generous dash of pepper
Sweet and Sour sauce:
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce or coconut aminos for soy-free
- 1 Tbsp almond butter or peanut butter
- 1 Tbsp Asian chili paste Sambal Oelek
- 1 tsp Sriracha optional. or add more chili pasta/hot sauce to taste
- 1/2 inch (0.5 inch) knob of ginger minced
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) garlic powder
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp rice vinegar
- chopped ripe mango
- peanuts optional
- Lettuce of choice
- Wash and soak the lentils for atleast half an hour in warm water. Drain, wash and add the lentils, salt, pepper and 1.5 cups water in a pan. Cook covered on high heat. Reduce heat to medium once the water comes to a rapid boil. Check for doneness after 30 minutes. Reduce heat to low-medium and cook uncovered until lentils are tender and the water is almost all gone. (4-5 minutes)
- Is using cooked lentils form can or slow cooked, add the sauce to the lentils, bring to a boil at medium and simmer for 4 minutes on low-medium. done.
- In another bowl, mix all the ingredients under sauce. Add the sauce to the lentil pan. Mix and cook for 5 minutes. Taste and adjust spice if needed.
- Load up lettuce leaves with the Lentils, chopped mango, cilantro and peanuts, and serve.