Vegan Thai Basil Fried Rice. Thai Veggie Fried Rice with easy ingredients, marinated tempeh and basil. Vegan Glutenfree Nutfree Recipe.
This easy fried rice is a favorite to order from Thai places and also to make at home. It is full of flavor from the sauces and basil. Use up your veggies and add some tempeh, tofu or chickpeas for the protein and done.
Garlic and chilies are cooked on high heat, then veggies, then basil and marinated tempeh. For the flavor profile of oyster sauce and fish sauce usually used in thai fried rice, I use soy sauce, pineapple juice, vegan oyster sauce and molasses. Add some wakame for a fish-y flavor. Once the tempeh is cooked, toss in the rice. garnish with more basil and serve.
More Asian recipes from the blog
- Massaman Curry Veggies
- Celery Black Pepper tofu
- Pad thai
- Lentils & Veggies in Thai Peanut Sauce
- Garlic Vegetable Fried Rice
If you make something from the blog, please do tag me #veganricha on Instagram or on social media! Leave me comment on this post too.
Prep the tempeh and marinate. I made a sauce mixture of ingredients to sub fish sauce + oyster sauce. Vegan fish sauce adapted from Rika’s brilliant vegan fish sauce. Cook up garlic and veggies. Add tempeh and basil, sauces, the rice. Mix up and serve hot.
Vegan Thai Basil Fried Rice
For the sauce marinade:
- 2 to 3 Tbsp low sodium tamari or soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp water
- 1 Tbsp or more sugar
- 2 Tbsp pineapple juice or orange juice
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) garlic powder
- 1 tsp rice vinegar
- 1 Tbsp vegan oyster sauce optional
- 1 tsp molasses
- 8 oz (226.8 g) Tempeh cubed to 1/2 inch cubes or use Tofu
For the Fried Rice:
- 2 tsp oil
- 5 cloves of garlic chopped
- 1 to 2 hot green or red chilies finely chopped
- 1/2 (0.5 ) onion thinly sliced
- 1/2 (0.5 ) red bell pepper thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup (32 g) thinly sliced carrots
- 1/2 cup (62 g) other veggies like sliced zucchini mushrooms, broccoli etc
- 1/2 cup (50 g) chopped green onions divided
- 1/2 cup (12 g) thai basil leaves I chop these up for more flavor
- 2 cups (316 g) or more cooked rice I use basmati
- salt and black pepper to taste
- black pepper or red pepper flakes for garnish
- If using Tempeh, steam the tempeh for 11 to 12 minutes. Drain. (optional)
- Mix all the sauce ingredients in a bowl. Add tempeh or tofu to marinate. (marinate for atleast 15 minutes).
- In a skillet, heat oil over medium high heat. When the oil is hot, add garlic and chilies and cook for a minute or until just turning golden. Add the bell pepper and mix in. Add onions, zucchini, carrots and other veggies. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the sauce with the tempeh. Cover and cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until the sauce thickens slightly. Add half of the green onions and basil and mix in. Cook for a minute.
- Add in the rice, black pepper to taste and toss well. Cover and cook for 1-2 minutes. Add more soy sauce if needed and mix in. Taste and adjust salt and spice. Add salt if needed. Garnish with black pepper or red pepper flakes and green onion or cilantro. Serve hot!
Sauce variation: Add a tsp of mushroom flavored dark soy sauce or plain thick dark soy sauce to the marinade.
Add shredded sea weed (like wakame) for a fish-y flavor profile. Nutritional values based one serving