Kachumber Salad – Cucumber Tomato Onion Salad Recipe. Kachumbar is a simple Chopped salad with onions, tomatoes, cucumbers and a salt, pepper/cayenne, lemon dressing. Serve as a side with Indian curries, or as a dip with chips, or over burgers. Vegan Gluten-free Soy-free Oil-free Recipe. Pin this post.
Kachumber / Kuchumber is a simple fresh chopped salad with chopped onions, tomatoes, cucumbers and a salt pepper lemon dressing. The chopped salad can also contain radish or carrots and the dressing can contain vinegar or yogurt. Serve as a side with Indian curries and dals, or as a dip with chips, or over burgers or add to a wrap, burrito, taco or to a bowl.
The refreshing chopped salad is somewhat like pico de gallo. It uses salt, pepper, cayenne and lime/lemon as the dressing. Kachumber Salad adds a crunchy fresh, juicy, and cooling flavor and texture to the foods and works well with hot and spicy or other sharp flavors. Some variations of the salad makes an appearance with Indian meals. It can also be served over papadums like nachos or a dip. Use it however you like. Make a big bowl of this salad for the BBQ party this Summer!
The salad has many variations. Add some mint in. Add some cumin powder, chaat masala or kala namak, or add some non dairy yogurt to make a raita dip. This is a no oil side salad. Play away!
More Salads from the blog
- Roasted Butternut, Apple Cranberry Salad with Harissa Spiced Pecans
- Roasted Beet, Satsuma Kale Salad with Almond Sesame Dressing
- Firecracker Chickpea Salad with Thai peanut dressing
- Mung Bean Sprout, Seared Carrot Salad with chili lime dressing
- Southwestern Pasta Black Bean Salad.
- Falafel spice Lentil Salad Sandwich
Pictured above, chopped Kachumber Salad with Lentil Quinoa Meatloaf Burgers.
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes chopped small
- 1 large cucumber chopped small
- 4-5 red radishes chopped small (optional)
- 1 green chili finely chopped (remove seeds to reduce heat if needed)
- 1/4 cup packed chopped cilantro
- 1/4 tsp or more salt
- 1/4 tsp or more freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp or more cayenne pure red chili powder
- 1 tsp or more freshly squeezed lime or lemon juice
- Chop the onions, tomatoes, cucumbers, radishes, wash and drain well. * Add to a bowl.
- Add the veggies and the rest of the ingredients to a bowl. Taste and adjust salt and heat. Serve.
* To reduce the strong sharp onion flavor, soak the chopped onion in water for 15 minutes. Drain and then use.
Add 2 tbsp of chopped mint.
Add a generous pinch of kala namak (Indian Sulfur black salt) or 1/4 tsp or more chaat masala to taste.
Add vinegar to taste instead of lemon juice.
Add 1/2 tsp roasted ground cumin or coriander powder.
Add 1/2 cup or more non dairy yogurt and 1/2 tsp ground cumin and mix in to make raita kind of yogurt dip.
Nutritional values based on one serving