Peanut Butter Chickpea Cookie Pie. Chickpea Peanut Butter Cookies. Deep dish Cookie Pie. Fudgy Chocolate Chip Chickpea Cookie Pie Recipe. Vegan Gluten-free Soy-free Recipe. Can be Nut-free. Jump to Recipe
Some days I always have an excess of chickpeas when experimenting with aquafaba. There is only so much chana masala or other chickpea curries that I can eat in a week. This Chickpea cookie pie is handy to use those chickpeas and also be a treat to serve to everyone.
This cookie pie is fudgy, chocolatey, crispy on the edges, gooey in the middle and just perfect all around. There is no flavor of the chickpeas. Serve these with your favorite vegan ice cream or as is. I like to make the pie skinnier than a deep dish cookie pie to allow it to crisp and cook evenly and be more cookie like. Other beans such as white beans or navy beans should work as well. This recipe is gluten-free and can be made nut-free.
The batter can also be baked into blondie bars. Double the recipe, put everything in a food processor, blend, spread into a pan, and bake into a 9 by 9 brownie pan. Easy as can be.
I served it with cashew vanilla ice ream and Moon Goo Caramel, which is caramel + charcoal from Frankie and Jos, the new spot in town with amazing ice creams. So many vegan options these days!
More desserts from the blog.
- Chickpea flour chocolate chip cookies
- Oatmeal Walnut chocolate Chunk Cookies
- Peanut/Almond butter Pecan Cookies
- Almond Butter Oatmeal Cookies. GF oil-free
- Ginger Tahini Cookies
- Best Chocolate Chip Cookies with coconut oil
Blend up all the ingredients until smooth.
Fold in chocolate chips, try not to eat up the batter and spread in a greased baking pan.
Bake and cool for 10 mins. The pie is fudgy and soft in the middle. I slice it in the pan and and pic up each slice. If the pie or blondie turns out too crunchy or crumbly, it probably got a bit overbaked. Check earlier and under bake for best results.
Slice into pie slices or squares and Serve with favorite vegan ice cream or whipped coconut cream or as is. This recipe is loosely adapted from the many deep dish cookie pies on the web. If you make the pie, do let me know how it turned out!
Use sunflower seed butter to make it nut-free. Sunbutter Reacts with baking powder and soda to turn the baked goods green when cooling. Use half the amounts of baking powder and soda and add a tsp of lemon juice to reduce the chances of that happening. Also the green color is harmless and ok to eat.
- 1/2 cup oat flour certified gluten-free if needed *, or use regular flour
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas drained if using canned
- 2 tbsp coconut oil refined if you dont want the coconut flavor
- 1/3 cup nut butter such as peanut almond or cashew, or use sunbutter to make nut-free
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 3 to 4 tbsp coconut sugar or other sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 to 1/4 tsp salt depends on if the nut butter and chickpeas are already salted
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon optional
- 1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips or chunks
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F / 180ºc.
- Add all the ingredients except chocolate chips to a food processor. Process for half a minute, scrape sides and process again until smooth. Taste and adjust sweet if needed. (If the mixture is too stiff, add a tbsp or more aquafaba or non dairy milk and blend in. See pictures for texture).
- Reserve a tbsp of chocolate chips for garnish. Fold in the rest of the chocolate chips into the thick batter in the processor.
- Grease or line an 8 inch or smaller cake pan. Transfer the batter onto the pan and spread it out using a spatula. Sprinkle chocolate chips on top.
- Bake for 22 to 26 minutes or until the center looks set. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then slice and serve with dollop of vegan vanilla ice cream or whipped coconut cream, and melted chocolate or vegan caramel.
* To make oat flour: Blend or process 1/2 heaping cup oats until a coarse powder and use.
Sub Oat flour with rice flour or wheat flour for variation. Adjust the consistency with more oil or non dairy milk if needed.
Sunbutter: Sunbutter Reacts with baking powder and soda to turn the baked goods green when cooling. Use half the amounts of baking pwoder and soda and add a tsp of lemon juice to reduce the chances of that happening. Also the green color is harmless and ok to eat.
Nutrition is 1 of 4 serves.