Berbere Roasted Kabocha Squash with Tahini Dill Dressing. Use ohter spice blends of choice. Festive, spiced winter squash. Add cranberries or other dried fruit. Vegan Gluten-free Soy-free Recipe
I’ve had a dislike, somewhat ok relationship with most squashes. I had a similar not so like with Tofu in the beginning months of my vegan transition. I started cooking with tofu and learnt to make my versions of dishes with it which helped me choose the method of cooking and the spices and flavors that I like and that helped make it more likeable. I started using squashes in baked goods and now if I make them roasted they usually get spiced liberally.
So I am still on a berbere run. Berbere blend is an Ethiopian spice blend and adds amazing flavor however you use it. You can make your own or get some online or from spice shops. You do have to try these roasted winter squash slices with berbere or use garam masala or baharat from my book(I am salivating already thinking of baharat on some roasted veggies). You will be surprised how well they work together. Use a dressing of choice like tahini garlic dill or vegan ranch. The whole squash gets roasted! So no work out needed to slice the raw squash.
We are celebrating the UK Book Launch this week! Giveaway on Facebook here.
More winter squash recipes from the blog
- Roasted Butternut, Cranberry Salad wth Harissa Spiced Pecans
- Pulled Butternut Squash Tacos
- Acorn stuffed with chickpea rice curry
- Curried Butternut squash Soup.
- Butternut Squash Pilaf
- Quinoa Black Bean asserole with Butternut Squash and Cheddar
My book is finally in stock on Amazon UK and is shipping! Order a copy right in time for the holidays. Also, when you do get to cook from it, please do leave a review on amazon uk. Other UK and surrounding area shipping is available through Book Depository which had a big price drop. Also available through Wordery and Hive UK.
Berbere Roasted Kabocha Squash with Tahini Dill Dressing
- 1 medium Kabocha or other winter squash
- 2 tsp oil
- 1.5 tsp berbere spice blend or or garam masala
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp or more salt
- cayenne to preference
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1 recipe tahini garlic dill sauce or use tahini garlic sauce or vegan ranch from my book
- black pepper and parsley for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Clean the Squash and Poke a few deep knife cuts around the top area using a knife. Place on a baking sheet and bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until a knife goes through somewhat easily. The baking time depends on the size of the squash.
- Take the squash out and let it cool for 15 minutes. Carefully slice into half. Scoop out the seeds and seed fibers using a spoon. Discard or save to make roasted seeds later. (see note)
- Slice the roasted squash in thick slices. Spray or rub oil on the slices
- In a bowl mix the berbere, coriander powder, garlic, onion, salt, dried parsley and cayenne if using. Sprinkle and rub the spice mix over the slices. Bake for another 5 to 10 minutes until golden on some edges.
- Meanwhile, prepare the dressing of choice. Drizzle liberally over the roasted squash slices. Sprinkle some parsley or cilantro and some more berbere if you like. Alternately, serve the slices with the dressing on the side. Use garnishes like cranberries or other dried fruit to make it festive.
If you like this recipe, please consider rating it and leaving a comment below. I love hearing from you and seeing how the recipes turn out. Find me on Instagram and tag me @veganricha