Instant Pot Gajar Halwa – Vegan Carrot Halwa Recipe. Carrot Halwa is an Indian dessert, a flourless Carrot Cake Crumble/pudding that is spiced with cardamom and served during festivals. Vegan Gluten-free Soy-free Recipe. Jump to Recipe
Gajar Halwa is a popular Winter-Spring dessert in Northern India. My Dad’s fave version has grated carrots that get slow roasted in a skillet over hours to become almost candied and the mix is more like a soft crumble. See my Stove top carrot halwa version here. This Instant pot version cooks within minutes and works amazingly.
The Carrots get roasted with sugar for a bit then pressure cooked, then roasted again to dry them up. This Instant Pot Halwa will cook to a softer more pudding like state, and gets close to the stove roasted one after sitting for a bit to cool. I use purple and red carrots for the gorgeous color that would normally show up only on long roasting. To make this nut-free, use sunflower seed meal and omit the cashews. Make this delicious dessert for Holi (the festival of colors coming in March) or valentines day (use more purple carrots!) 🥕🥕. See video above the Recipe.
More Instant Pot Indian Recipes
- Instant Pot Vegan Butter Chickin(soycurls). GF
- Lentil Veggie Dhansak – Lentil Veggie Stew in IP. GF
- Kohlapuri Veggies – Veggies in sesame coconut sauce GF
- Lentil Sweet Potato Soup GF
- Aloo Palak Dal- Potato Spinach Lentils in IP. GF
- Chana Saag – Chickpea Spinach Curry GF
- Instant Pot Chickin Saag with soy curls.GF
I know what you are thinking, that the Serving size should be 1 ;). Well, the 4 serves are dessert portions. Serve after a good meal! If you make this, do let me know how it turned out! Subscribe to My Youtube Channel for more videos.
Instant Pot Gajar Halwa / Gajrela - Vegan Carrot Halwa Recipe. Carrot Halwa is an Indian dessert, a flourless Carrot Cake Crumble/pudding that is spiced with cardamom and served during festivals. Vegan Gluten-free Soy-free Dairyfree Recipe.
- 1 tbsp vegan butter or oil
- 3 tbsp cashews
- 3 tbsp chopped dates or raisins, or currants
- 2.5 cups of shredded carrots rainbow carrots or red or a combination of purple and red
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 1/8 to 1/4 tsp salt use 1/4 tsp if using oil instead of vegan butter
- 1/4 cup almond meal
- 1/4 cup non dairy milk such as almond or soy , use 1/2 cup if your carrots are not very moist
- 1/4 tsp ground cardamom
- pistachios or cashews for garnish
- Put the Instant pot on Saute (Stove top pressure cooker over medium heat). Add vegan butter or oil.
Add cashews and cook until golden. Stir occasionally. About 2-3 minutes. Add dates/raisins and cook for a few seconds.
- Add carrots, sugar, salt and almond meal and mix well. Cook for a minute. Add non dairy milk and mix in.
Close the lid. Pressure cook for 6 to 7 minutes manual, hi in Instant pot. (3 mins over medium heat in stove top pressure cooker). Let the pressure release naturally. Open the lid, Mix in the cardamom. Taste and adjust sweet if needed.
Put the pot on Saute and cook the mixture for 3 to 4 mins to roast it well and to dry out the liquid. Stir well in between to avoid sticking. At this point you can add another 2 tsp vegan butter and mix in. Once the mixture starts to stick and is dry-ish. Switch off and let it sit. The pot will be hot for a while, let the carrot mixture slow cook in the heat for 15 mins or so. Stir once in between. When the mixture is warm-cool, serve, or store refrigerated. Garnish with chopped cashews or pistachios to serve. Stove top version here.
For additional mava flavor, add a 1/4 tsp nutritional yeast with the salt.
To make this nut-free, use sunflower seed meal instead of almond meal, and omit the cashews.
This recipe is adapted from my Stove top Vegan Gajar Halwa.
Nutrition is 1 of 4 serves