Instant Pot Red Lentil Butternut Squash Curry. This Warming lentil butternut or pumpkin curry is creamy and comforting. 1 Pot, 30 Min make in a Pressure cooker or Saucepan. Vegan Gluten-free Soy-free nut-free Recipe. Jump to Recipe
The weather is getting cooler (read pretty cold) out here and every day we feel like we need a bowl of hot, warming comforting soup or stew. This butternut squash and red lentil curry works out perfectly for every meal.
The spices are sauteed with onion and garlic, then just put the lentils and butternut all in a pressure cooker or saucepan with some coconut milk and broth. Cook and done. This dal soup takes 1 Pot and less than 30 minutes either way. Serve as is garnished with some toasted nuts or with a side of fresh bread or flatbread.
This recipe is a modified version of the popular Butternut Coconut Lentil Dal from my Indian Kitchen Cookbook. The Dals in the book are closer to traditional recipes. This one uses more common spices and ingredients. and is creamy and rich with the coconut milk. Red lentils (masoor Dal) go so well with butternut or pumpkin!
More Instant Pot Recipes for fall
- IP Mushrrom Bourguignon. GF
- IP Mushroom Wild Rice Soup. GF
- IP Tikka Masala Simmer Sauce GF
- Instant Pot Vegan Butter Chickin(soycurls). GF – Creamy, Delicious
- Japanese Veggie Curry. GF
- Instant Pot Lasagna Soup with Red lentils. – So Easy
- More Instant Pot Recipes!
If you make this recipe, do let me know in the comments below, rate it and tag me on Instagram #veganricha.
Instant Pot Lentil Butternut Squash Curry
- 1 tsp oil
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) mustard seeds
- 4 cloves of garlic (finely chopped)
- 1/2 (0.5 ) medium onion (finely chopped)
- 1 inch ginger (finely chopped)
- 1 hot green chili (finely chopped)
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) turmeric
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) garam masala (or curry powder)
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) black pepper (or cayenne, or both)
- 1 large tomato (chopped small)
- 12 oz (340.2 g) butternut squash (or pumpkin) raw, peeled and cubed or frozen
- 1/3 cup (60 g) red lentils
- 14 oz can of coconut milk
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) of water
- 3/4 tsp (0.75 tsp) salt
- 3-4 oz (3 oz) of baby spinach
- (NaN ) lime juice and cilantro for garnish
- Start the Instant Pot on sauté. Add the oil and once it has heated, add the mustard seeds and wait for them to sputter or change color. Add the chopped onion, garlic, ginger, chili and a pinch of salt. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the spices and mix well. Add the tomatoes and a quarter cup of water and cook for 2 minutes stirring occasionally to avoid sticking.
- Add the butternut squash or pumpkin, coconut milk, lentils, water and salt. Mix well to combine and pick up the tomato from the bottom of the pot. Close the lid and pressure cook for 4 minutes. Carefully quick release the pressure slowly once cooking time is done.
- Open the lid and fold in the spinach and mix thoroughly. Taste and adjust the amount of salt, heat and flavor. Add a good dash of lime juice. Garnish with pepper flakes or cilantro. Serve over rice or flat bread or with fresh dinner rolls.
Sauce pan instructions:
- Follow step 1 and 2 in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the butternut, coconut milk, lentils, salt and water. Partially cover and cook for 12-14 mins or until the lentil and squash are cooked through. Add 1/4 to 1/2 cup more water if the curry is too thick and simmer for a min. Taste and adjust the flavor to your liking, add a dash of lime juice and serve.