Instant Pot Vegan Mushroom Gravy. No Oil 1 Pot Gluten free Mushroom Gravy made in a pressure cooker or saucepan. Freezer friendly. 30 Mins. Vegan Nutfree Recipe. Can be soyfree. Jump to Recipe
I have a mushroom free Gravy already on the blog. It is 1 pot and 15 mins and super flavorful! Since hubbs loves mushrooms, I decided to make a mushroom one this season.
Mushrooms can take a long time to cook down and brown in a pan for the right flavor. They cook faster under pressure. If you use less liquid in the dish, then they also brown and pick on a caramelized flavor under pressure. That is what I do for this gravy.
No need to brown or stand near the kitchen, and hence no need for the oil. Just chop and dump everything in the instant pot. Pressure cook. Come back and simmer for a few mins to thicken and done. As with most the recipes, stove top instructions are added too! Try this super flavorful 1 Pot Mushroom gravy!
Served above with my No Oil Vegan Biscuits.
More Holiday Sides
- Vegan Gravy 1 Pot without mushrooms GF SF Option
- Easy Vegan Mashed Potatoes in Instant Pot or Saucepan GF SF
- Potato Sweet Potato Latkes Fritters GF OPTION
- Vegan Spinach Pinwheels with Cream Cheese SF
- Chickpea Spinach Pie with Berbere Spice SF
- Cornbread Stuffing SF
- Butternut Apple Cranberry Salad with Harissa Pecans. GF SF
Instant Pot Vegan Mushroom Gravy. No Oil 1 Pot Gluten free Mushroom Gravy made in a pressure cooker or saucepan. Freezer friendly. 30 Mins. Vegan Nutfree Recipe. Can be soyfree.
- 10 oz mushrooms (cremini, white, portabella or a mix)
- 1/2 small onion
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1.5 tbsp vegan worchestershire sauce or use soy sauce or coconut aminos for soyfree
- 1 tsp prepared mustard or 1/2 tsp ground mustard
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp ground sage
- 2 tsp fresh rosemary (divided, 1 tsp if using dried)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2.5 cups low sodium vegetable broth/stock (divided)
- 1/4 tsp white pepper , less or more to preference
- 1 tbsp cornstarch or potato starch
- 1/2 cup cashew cream or non dairy cream (optional)
Finely chop the mushroom, onion and garlic, by knife or in a food processor. Add to the instant pot. (Alternatively, You can cook the onion and garlic in 1/4 cup broth or wine on saute, for a few mins for additional flavor and then add mushrooms).
Add the spices, herbs, 1 tsp rosemary, salt, Worcestershire (or use 1 tablespoon soy sauce and 2 tablespoons red wine) and 1 cup broth. .(Additional flavors such as poultry seasoning, herbs can be added at this point. Use bouillon with water instead of broth.)
Mix well to combine. The mixture will look dry but mushrooms leak a ton of moisture under pressure. See stove top instructions in notes.
Close the lid. Pressure cook for 20 mins. Let the pressure release naturally. Open the lid.
Start saute. Add more fresh rosemary, white pepper. Mix starch in 1.5 cups of broth and add in. Bring to a boil. Add 1/2 cup cashew cream for creamier (optional), or use a nutfree non dairy cream or 1 tbsp toasted flour(wheat or rice) mixed in 1/4 cup broth for additional thickening). Taste and adjust salt and flavor by adding more if needed. Add some soy sauce if needed. Simmer for another 1-2 mins.
Stovetop: Saute onion and garlic in 1/4 cup broth or 2 tsp oil until translucent. Add chopped mushroom and a good pinch of salt and continue to cook until brown on some edges(10 10 15 mins). Stir occasionally, Deglaze with broth if needed. Add the spices, herbs, salt, Worcestershire and 1/4 cup broth and cook for a few mins. Mix starch in 2 cups of broth and add to the pan. Simmer for 5 mins or longer until desired consistency. Taste and adjust flavor.