Chickpea Spinach Pie with Berbere Spice. Easy Chickpea Spinach Pastry for holidays and company with vegan puff pastry. Use spices or blends of choice. Use lentils for variation. Vegan Soy-free Nut-free Recipe. Jump to Recipe
I told you I was going through a Berbere and Cajun obsession at the moment. So here goes another one. This ridiculously tasty pie is a breeze to put together. Use up those canned or cooked chickpeas or lentils, cook them up with the spices, onion and spinach. Fill up a thawed puff pastry sheets (many are accidentally vegan), seal and bake!
The idea for this came about when I was thinking about making something like a Spanakopita but simpler. Chickpeas are a easy filling if you already have some cooked. Loads of onion, spinach and spices and the crisp puff pastry make this pie very pleasing for the crowd. You can make one whole pie or small hand pies. Always a hit! Use any spices of choice or use the spice blends from my book (baharat, shawarma, garam masala etc). Or use just herbs, a combination of thyme, sage and oregano + nooch. Add some tofu or almond ricotta for variation.
Easy Holiday Appetizer or Side to impress. The chickpea spinach filling is also great in sandwiches or as a dip!
You can use this filling with filo as well. Brush each sheet with oil and place atleast 4 to 5 sheets, then add the filling and fold the sheets over.
More savory options for the holidays
- Chickpea Shepherds Pie
- Veggie Lasagna
- Whole Roasted Cauliflower
- Lentil Quinoa “Meatloaf”
- Spiced Vegetable Pot Pie
Cook the chickpeas with the spices or herbs, then fold in the greens. Add some non dairy milk + flour to add a a bit of sauce. Cool and spread over a pastry sheet.
Its been a tough and heartbreaking week in many ways. Here are some things we can do. Donate blood locally, so the supply can make its way to Vegas. Help People in Puerto Rico and animals. Have conversations about actions. Reach out to friends and family. It is hard to express the emotions in words, but know that many people around are hurting.
Chickpea Spinach Pie with Berbere Spice
- 2 vegan puff pastry sheets
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 small red onion , thinly sliced or chopped
- 5 cloves of garlic , finely chopped
- 3/4 tsp (0.75 tsp) ground cumin , or 1/2 tsp cumin + 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1 to 2 tsp berbere spice blend , to preference based on heat of the blend. Or use garam masala, shawarma, chili powder blend or just herbs (thyme, oregano, sage)
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp cayenne or pepper flakes
- a good dash of black pepper
- 15 oz (15 oz) can chickpeas , or 1.5 cups cooked
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) salt , less or more depending on if the chickpeas are salted
- 5 to 6 oz spinach
- 1 bunch of cilantro chopped, or use more spinach
- 1/2 cup (122 ml) non dairy milk + 1 tbsp flour
- Remove the Puff pastry sheets from the freezer and cover and let them rest at room temperature. Roll them out a bit if you like (optikonal) (they should be ready in about 20 to 25 minutes to use. Prep and make the filling in the meanwhile).
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. When hot add onion and garlic and a pinch of salt. Cook until translucent. Add spices and mix well. Mash the chickpeas using a fork or a food processor and add to the skillet. Add salt and mix well. Cook for 4 minutes.
- Add the greens and mix in. Cook for 2 minutes. Taste and adjust salt and flavor.
- Mix the flour into the non dairy milk and add to the chickpeas. Cook for 2-3 minutes to bring to a boil and thicken. Let it cool for a few minutes. (This filling can be made ahead and used in the puff pastry, as a sandwich filling, or a dip with toasted pita. )
- Spread the mixture on one puff pastry and place the other pastry sheet on top. Crimp the edges with a fork and use scissors to cut vents in. You can also make individual pastry pockets.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 20 to 24 mins for one large piece, 16 to 20 minutes for smaller. Let the pastry cool for 5 minutes, then slice and serve.