Comforting and Healing Vegan Chickpea Rice Soup with Veggies. A glutenfree variation of Vegan Chicken Noodle Soup. Easy 1 Pot 30 minute meal. Instant Pot option Gluten-free Nut-free Recipe. Soyfree option Jump to Recipe
Spring sometimes brings sniffles and a warm comforting brothy soup is what gets me through it! This Chickpea Rice soup is the answer to the chikin noodle soup that cures all. Garlic and veggies cooked to golden, then herbs, flavors and broth simmered with cooked chickpeas and rice! Use noodles, vegan chikin subs for variation.
This Soup is delicious, healing and satisfying. It needs 1 Pot and less than 30 minutes! Change up the herbs to preference. Add more veggies for a hearty soup.
Ingredients for Vegan Chickpea Rice soup and Substitution options
- Onion, garlic, carrots and celery are the base for the brothy soup flavor.
- Thyme, oregano, poultry seasoning add the herb and chikin noodle soup flavor profile. See the recipe for alternate herb substitutes
- Onion powder, black pepper, soy/tamari intensify the above profile with salty, peppery, comforting flavors.
- Chickpeas are the protein in the soup. You can use a cup of soy curls instead, or other chikin subs such as shredded seitan or jackfruit.
- White basmati rice is used in the recipe for the noodles making the soup gluten-free. White Basmati rice is easier to digest and works out better if using the soup during recovery. Sub partially cooked brown rice and simmer for a few minutes longer until well done for variation. Or sub noodles or pasta instead of rice. Partially cooking brown rice ensures that it doesnt take too long to cook in the broth. If you cook the brown rice in the salty broth it might take upwards of 30 mins which will make the veggies very mushy.
More soups for the soul
- Lentil Chili. GF
- Mushroom Chickpea Veggie Soup. GF
- IP Mushroom Wild Rice Soup. GF
- Japanese Veggie Curry. GF
- Instant Pot Lasagna Soup with Red lentils. – So Easy
- IP Potato Chickpea Soup. GF
- Tomato Soup with Tofu Croutons.
- Tortilla soup with red lentils. GF
Vegan Chickpea Rice Soup
- 1 tsp oil or use 3 tbsp broth
- 1/2 medium onion , chopped
- 4 to 6 cloves (cloves) of garlic , finely chopped
- 1 cup (128 g) chopped carrots
- 4 celery stalks , chopped small
- 1 tsp fresh thyme or 1/2 tsp dried
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp poultry seasoning or 1/2 tsp sage, generous dashes of rosemary, nutmeg, marjoram
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/8 tsp or more black pepper to taste
- 4.5 to 5 cups (1064.65 ml) broth
- 15 oz can of chickpeas or 1.25 cups cooked
- 1/2 tsp salt , less or more depending on if the veggie broth is salted
- 1 to 2 tsp soy sauce , tamari for gluten-free, coconut aminos for soy-free
- 1/3 cup (61.67 g) long grain whit rice , (I use white basmati, see notes for brown rice), washed well and drained
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and carrots and cook for 2 mins Add celery, herbs, spices and mix in. Cook for 2 mins
- Add the broth, chickpeas, salt, soy sauce and mix.
- Add the rice and bring to a rolling boil. Cook partially covered for 12 to 15 mins until rice is cooked and the flavors have developed.
- Taste and adjust salt and flavor. Add more herbs, some garlic powder, lime juice, black or white pepper if needed. Serve the soup garnished with parsley or cilantro
- Chickpeas are the protein in the soup. You can use a cup of soy curls instead, other beans, or other chikin subs such as shredded seitan or jackfruit.
- White basmati rice subs for the noodles making the soup gluten-free. Sub partially cooked brown rice and simmer for a few minutes longer until well done for variation. Or sub 7 oz noodles or pasta instead of rice.