Beet and blueberry mini loaf. A delicious, brightly colored mini loaf that’s great for breakfast or snacking on. Vegan Recipe. Jump to Recipe
Yes, I am still in mini loaf mode.. those tiny slices get consumed quickly and let me make different breads every few days..! This one is beety carmine colored with an added slight deep blue from the blueberries.. Deep colors for this bright summer!
Sending this to the SOS challenge for June:Blueberries and Susan’s Weekly Yeastspotting!
Beet and Blueberry Mini Loaf
Beet and blueberry mini loaf. A delicious, brightly colored mini loaf that's great for breakfast or snacking on. Vegan Recipe.
Servings: 2 mini loaves
- 2/3 cups (80 g) whole wheat flour
- 2/3 cups (83 g) bread flour
- 1 teaspoon vital wheat gluten (optional)
- 1 teaspoon flax meal
- 3 tablespoons raw sugar or equivalent agave/maple syrup
- 1.5 teaspoons active yeast
- 1/2 cup (125 g) water
- 1 medium beet , peeled and chopped (about 1/2 cup chopped)
- 1/2 cup (74 g) fresh ripe blueberries
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tablespoon Organic canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) salt
- Add the yeast and 1 teaspoon sugar to 1/4 cup (60ml) warm water and mix well. Let stand for 10 minutes or until frothy.
- In a blender, puree the beet and blueberries with the remaining sugar and flax meal and some warm water if needed.
- In a bowl add the flours, pumpkin pie spice, wheat gluten and salt and mix.
- Add in the yeast mixture, oil and beet blueberry puree.
- Knead the dough for 8-10 minutes, scraping sides every 2-3 minutes if using a stand mixer. add more flour or water in little quantities if needed. As with any fresh fruit/vegetable bread, the fruit gives out a little extra moisture than a normal bread while the dough sits for the rising time. The dough should be soft and not too sticky.
- Spritz the top of dough with some oil spray. Place dough in a covered container in a warm place for 1.5 hours.
- Punch it lightly. For mini loaf pans, divide dough into 2 parts. Knead and shape into a loaf by pulling on all sides, or by rolling it out into a rectangle and rolling the rectangle from one side and tucking the other edge under.
- Place loaf in greased mini bread pans. Spritz the top with water and then spritz a little oil spray and cover with damp towel.
- Place it in a warm place or warm oven for 50 minutes.
- Remove towel, spritz top with some water and bake at 365 degrees F for 25 minutes. (30 minutes if baking one loaf)
- Remove bread from pan and let cool for an hour.
- Slice and enjoy as is, topped with the creamy herbed berry topping( vegan cream cheese mixed with mashed berries and herbs), or marmalade, or nut butters, or topped with a tofu scramble!
- Total time does not include 2.5 hours proving time.
- Nutritional value is per loaf
Beet and Blueberry Mini Loaf
Amount Per Serving
Calories 483 Calories from Fat 90
% Daily Value*
Vitamin C 3.5mg4%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Thanks for dropping by Harini! Hope you all like the bread!:)
The gluten is not necessary! Happy Sunday!
This loaf looks extremely delicious! I must try it. I think I will omit the vital wheat gluten. I have strong bread flour that must be used up soon.
Harini of tongueticklers.
Thanks for dropping by Vegspinz and Vaishali.. i love colored breads!:)
Oooh, Richa, this is so delightful! Love the pink color and the beets-n-berries combination.
I never thought of putting beets in bread- nice job!
Thanks Priya! Yes, I love the mini loafs too.. tiny slices.. great for anytime snack!
Thanks for dropping by Ricki! Yes, i am in deep colors mode this month..:)
What an ingenious combination of ingredients! The color of this is lovely. I bet beets and blueberries are a perfect pair. Thanks so much for submitting this to the SOS Challenge this month! 🙂
beet n blue berries in the loaf looks like a heady combo- loved this mini version of yours !! they look so cute