A simple side salad today. Grated beet and carrots , spiced up with a mustard seeds and chili tadka. Served as is or mixed in with non dairy yogurt. It makes for a pretty and delicious side with any meal. Read about the anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidant, detox and other health benefits of Beets here.You can add other crunchy veggies like Jicama, celery, radish and more. Adjust the taste to make your own, add lemon juice or zest for a sour version, some yogurt for a cooling version to serve with other spicy dishes.
Beet and Carrot Koshimbir(spiced salad). vegan glutenfree.
- 1 medium Beet grated raw or roasted/boiled beet
- 5-6 (5 ) baby carrots grated or chopped small
- 1/4 teaspoon (0.25 teaspoon) salt or to taste
- a generous pinch of raw sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) lemon juice
- a generous pinch of black pepper or red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon organic canola oil
- a generous pinch of asofoetida hing (or use garlic powder if you dont have hing. Add garlic powder once you take the oil off heat)
- 1/4 teaspoon (0.25 teaspoon) mustard seeds
- 1 green chili slit or to taste
- 2 Tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Crushed roasted peanuts or shredded coconut.
- Grate beet and carrots. Add salt, sugar, lemon juice and pepper. Mix well and keep in a bowl.
- In a small pan, add oil, heat on medium.
- Add mustard seeds when the oil is hot.
- Let the mustard seeds start to pop, then add asofoetida and chili.
- Cook for half a minute, stir the chili so it cooks on all sides.
- Pour this into the beet bowl.
- Mix well. Top with Cilantro, peanuts/coconut. Serve.