Indian Carrot Pudding with Cardamom – 1 Pot Carrot Kheer Recipe. Shredded Carrots slow cooked with almond milk, roasted nuts and cardamom. Serve as is or top with toasted nuts, seeds and chia. Vegan Gluten-free Grain-free Soy-free Nut-free option
This carrot pudding is is mix of gajar halwa and rice pudding /kheer. The carrots are shredded and roasted a bit then cooked further in non dairy milk. The pudding is flavored with cardamom. Use other spice of choice, such as cinnamon, nutmeg or saffron. Add in some turmeric for a breakfast pudding. This makes a great dessert or breakfast. Sweet carrots need only a bit of additional sugar added. you can omit the sweetener and add more of chopped dried dates, figs or currants and a touh of maple syrup if needed.
Gorgeous, simple, gluten-free and grain-free. Easily made nut-free. Perfect for Easter.
More Spring/Summer Indian desserts from the blog
- Mango Sheera / Halwa
- Mango Lassi – GF Mango Yogurt Smoothie
- Mango Burfi – GF Bars
- Kesar Pista Milk Shake – GF Saffron Pistachio milk shake
- Kesar Peda – GF Saffron almond fudge cookies
- Besan Burfi – GF Chickpea flour fudge
- Vermicelli Kheer Pudding – GF option
- Coconut Ladoo – GF Coconut cardamom balls
If you make this kheer, do tag me on Instagram or comment and rate on this post!
In other news, some faux fur was found to be from dogs, cats, rabbits and racoons. Lets take the fashion out of fur (warning, viewer discretion).
Planning to get a rabbit this Easter? Adopt Don’t Buy… Also, They will chew on things, will need rabbit proofing of the house, will need 30+ hours of outside crate time and can bite.
Simmer until thickened to preference. Garnish and serve warm or cold.
Carrot Pudding with Cardamom - Carrot Kheer Recipe
- 1 tbsp vegan butter or oil
- 2 cups (256 grams) (packed) shredded carrots
- 2 to 2.5 cups (440 to 600 ml) thin cashew milk or 2.5 cups almond milk blended with 1/4 cup raw cashews or use soy milk or coconut milk to make nut-free
- 1/8 to 1/4 tsp (1/4 tsp) salt use 1/8 tsp if using vegan butters
- 1 to 3 tbsp coconut sugar or other sugar or sweetener
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) ground cardamom
- a pinch of cinnamon
- 3 tbsp chopped nuts like cashews almonds, walnuts (raw or roasted)
- 3 tbsp currants or chopped dried fruit like dates raisins, figs
- chia seeds pepitas, coconut, currants for garnish.
- Heat vegan butter/ oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add carrots and cook for 5 to 6 minutes, sitrring occasionally.
- Add the non dairy milk and mix. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium low. Add salt, sugar, cardamom, cinnamon and mix in. Add the nuts and dried fruit and mix in. Carrots get sweeter on cooking, so you might need little to no sugar. Add less to begin with. Continue to cook partially covered for 5 to 15 minutes depending on your preferred consistency. The pudding thickens on cooling.
- Serve warm or cold garnished with chia seeds, pepitas, dried fruits. I like it best a day later when the carrots have absorbed the flavors, spices and milk to soften further.