Amazing Chickpea Tahini Salad Sandwich. Summery, crunchy and refreshing Chickpea Salad with pecans, celery, onion, tahini and shawarma spice! Serve in lettuce wraps or sandwiches. Vegan Soyfree Recipe. Can be made nut-free Gluten-free Jump to Recipe
Try these easy Chickpea Tahini Salad Sandwiches just before we say bye to the Summer! Chickpeas are mashed with some tahini, then mixed with crunchy celery and onion and some toasted pecans. The flavors from herbs, shawarma spice and lime bring everything together for a delicious refreshing and spiced summer sandwich! The herbs and spice infuse the salad as it sits, so chill for some time before serving.
Serve the salad as is or in lettuce cups for gluten-free. It takes just 15 minutes to put together makes for a protein filled meal. Hubbs scarfed it down with a drizzle of sriracha. because… Sriracha.
Ingredients for Chickpea Tahini Salad Sandwich
- Cooked or Canned Chickpeas make up the base. You can use other cooked beans such as navy beans, white northern or cannellini.
- Tahini adds amazing flavor. Use vegan mayo as substitute.
- Chopped toasted pecans add texture and sweet buttery bits, use other nuts or toasted sunflower seeds as a substitute to make nut-free.
- Onion and celery add the crunch
- scallions, pepper, mustard, salt, shawarma blend and lime juice and zest add flavor. Use more herbs for variation. Use a dash of cumin and coriander instead of shawarma.
- Roasted Bread slices to serve the salad. Or Lettuce cups for gluten-free.
How to make Chickpea Tahini Salad Sandwich
Assemble the ingredients. Add chickpeas and tahini to a large bowl. Mash with a potato masher and mix in. Add 1-2 tbsp water if needed for mashing and mash well.
Toast the pecans on a skillet over medium heat for 3 to 4 mins and add to the bowl. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well.
Taste and adjust flavor with salt, lime juice, herbs. Add a few tbsp of water if needed to adjust consistency(moisture content varies in chickpeas and tahini).
Toast the breads if needed. Layer the breads with greens, chickpea salad, sliced onion or tomato and serve.
To Store: Refrigerate just the chickpea salad in a covered container for upto 3 days.
More Sandwiches to try
- Pulled Jackfruit BBQ Sandwiches
- Chickpea Avocado Salad Sandwich
- Tofu Egg Salad Sandwich
- General Tsos Tofu Sandwich
- Cauliflower Cheddar Pesto Sandwich
Chickpea Tahini Salad Sandwich
- 15 oz (425.24 g) chickpeas rinsed and drained, or 1.5 cups cooked
- 3 tbsp tahini
- 1/4 cup (24.75 g) raw pecans
- 1/4 cup (40 g) chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup (25.25 g) chopped celery
- 1/4 cup (25 g) chopped scallions
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp ground mustard
- 1 tsp shawarma spice blend
- zest and juice of half a lime
- Lettuce or spinach
- sliced onions
- sliced tomatoes juicy tomatoes are best to add moisture to the sandwich
- Bread Slices for sandwich or lettuce for lettuce wraps
- Add chickpeas and tahini to a large bowl. Mash with a potato masher and mix in. Add 1-2 tbsp water if needed for mashing.
- Toast the pecans on a skillet over medium heat for 3 to 4 mins. Add to the bowl. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well.
- Taste and adjust the flavor with salt, lime juice, herbs (add parsley or dill). Add a few tbsp of water if needed to adjust consistency(moisture content varies in chickpeas and tahini). Chill (optional) for an hour.
- Toast the breads if needed. Then layer greens, the chickpea salad, sliced onion or tomato.
- For additional moisture, spread some hummus on the breads or other dressings of choice.To Store: Refrigerate just the chickpea salad in a covered container for upto 3 days.For Nut-free: Use toasted sunflower seedsFor Gluten-free: Serve the salad without bread or in lettuce cups.