Easy 1 Bowl Coconut Turmeric Bread. Soft and Delicious One Bowl Golden Lemon Coconut loaf with black pepper and turmeric. No added oil in this cake. Vegan Nutfree Soyfree Oilfree Recipe. Jump to Recipe
A Golden gorgeous loaf today. This is a super easy bread/cake that needs 1 Bowl and a blender, no Oil and bakes into a beautiful, soft, moist, spiced loaf. Whisk the dry ingredients in a bowl. Blend the wet in a blender, combine both into a batter and bake. Done. I sprinkle some coconut on the batter for a simple loaf. Add a lemon icing to the loaf for a dessert cake or for presentation. The cake uses maple syrup for sweetener which adds the perfect amount of sweetness. Coconut flakes get blended into the batter to add the fat needed for the moist cake.
I mentioned this loaf the other day on my Insta stories. The batter of the cake did not have lemon and was a Turmeric coconut batter. I usually bake some portion of the batter before baking the entire loaf when recipe testing, so that I can adjust the batter if needed with flavor, sugar, flour. This yellow batter was turning pink during baking for some reason. (its a cool idea to use that for pink lemonade cake if I figure out why it is turning pink). It could be some reaction between turmeric and baking powder or coconut or something else. If you know what it is happening, let me know. This did not happen to my lemon chia muffins that also have turmeric in them. So I added some lemon juice to some of the batter and that batter baked out yellow. Hmm. If you don’t want a pink cake, do not skip on the lemon/lime juice!
More Loafs from the blog
- One bowl Pumpkin Bread
- Eggnog Pound Cake
- Carrot Turmeric Chia Muffins.
- Sweet Potato Pie Bars.
- Pumpkin Pecan Crumb Coffee Cake.
- Gluten-free Cakes and Loafs.
If you have small shred coconut (anything larger will add a lot of texture to the loaf), you can use that directly without blending and use just 1 bowl. Whisk the dry, add all the wet ingredients, mix to combine, pour into baking pan and bake. I prefer blended coconut as it distributes the fattyness throughout for a soft loaf. To make this gluten-free, use the flour mix from my Glutenfree Christmas cake and add enough to make a thick batter. When in doubt, always bake a few tbsp of the batter in oven or microwave it for 30 seconds to check if the consistency is right.
Coconut Turmeric Bread. 1 Bowl Golden Lemon Coconut loaf.
- 1 cup (244 ml) non dairy milk , such as almond or lite coconut
- 1/2 cup (161 g) maple syrup
- 2 tbsp sugar (for sweeter cake)
- 1 cup (85 g) coconut flakes
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- juice of 1 lime (2 to 3 tbsp lime or lemon juice)
- 1.5 cups (187.5 g) flour (I use 1 cup unbleached all purpose and 1/2 cup whole grain wheat or spelt or more of unbleached flour)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) baking soda
- 1/3 tsp (0.33 tsp) salt
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/8 to 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) cinnamon or nutmeg (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a loaf pan with parchment or grease well.
- Blend all ingredients under wet so that coconut flakes breaks down a bit. to very small flakes.
- In a bowl mix all the dry ingredients really well,
- Combine wet and dry and mix to form a batter. Transfer the thick batter to a loaf pan. Sprinkle a tbsp or so coconut on top and Bake for 45 mins or until a toothpick from the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 mins then remove from loaf and cool completely. I usually cool the loaf, then refrigerate for an hour or so then slice.
One of my favourite cake of yours. I was thinking to use same recipe but instead of turmeric, use saffron? Will the flavour match coconut flakes? Just thinking loud, I love it with turmeric. Thank you.
Yes the flavor combination will definitely work. Mix the saffron in warmed milk and let it sit for 5-10 minutes to infuse or blend it with the coconut and use
Your coconut turmeric bread is just delicious. I have made it so many times. I saw it on Facebook. So easy and special. Thank you.
Vegan Richa Support
wow – I’m glad that you discovered me
Added some strawberries, omitted the pepper and cut back on the maple syrup. Lovely!