Faux Sourdough Bread with fermented Dosa (lentil and rice) batter. Dosa batter is a fermented lentil and rice batter that tastes a bit like sourdough. Vegan RecipeJump to Recipe
I know right.. I bake bread pretty much ever other day, so you would think that I have a running sourdough starter! I tried it once, but didnt know what to do with all the extra starter every week. Sourdough has some great benefits. It has a better nutrient profile, since the bacteria eats and reduces the starh and carb content and is more shelf stable.
Faux Sourdough Bread with fermented Dosa (lentil and rice) batter
- 1 teaspoon active yeast
- 2 teaspoons raw sugar
- 1/4 cup (62.5 ml) water
- 1/4 cup (59.15 g) very fermented Dosa batter Let the blended lentil and crepe batter ferment atleast a day in a warm place till you can clearly smell a slightly sour odor
- 1 Tablespoon non dairy greek yogurt or vegan sour cream I used SoDelicious plain coconut milk greek yogurt
- 1/8 teaspoon (0.13 teaspoon) rock salt kala namak
- 1/3 teaspoon (0.33 teaspoon) salt
- 1/2 cup (62.5 g) bread flour
- 1/2 cup (60 g) whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons vital wheat gluten
- Warm the water and add raw sugar and yeast to it, Mix and let sit for 10 minutes or until frothy.
- In a bowl, mix the dosa batter, greek yogurt, salt and rock salt well.
- Add in the flours, wheat gluten, and yeast mixture and mix well.
- Add more bread flour if needed and knead into make a soft dough(5 minutes). The dough will be slightly sticky.
- Let dough sit in a warm place, covered with a towel, for 1.5 hours or until doubled.
- Take dough out on a floured working surface and Use a Tablespoon or so bread flour to knead and form a flat rectangle.
- Roll up the dough tightly and place in a parchment lined bread pan or bagette pan.
- Spray water on top. Sprinkle flour and coverwith towel. Let rise until almost double.(35-40 minutes)
- Gently lift the parchment and place on a baking sheet.
- Bake in preheated 365 degrees F for 25-30 minutes.
- Cool completely before slicing.