Harissa Chickpea Stew with Sweet Potato. 1 Pot. This stew is my fridge clean up version of a Moroccan Chickpea Stew. Use seasonal veggies and lentils for variation. Vegan Glutenfree Soyfree Nutfree Recipe Instant Pot option Jump to Recipe
Sometimes I head to the kitchen, look at what needs to be used up and whip up a fusion meal. This stew happened the same way. I remembered bits of a Moroccan chickpea stew from somewhere and also had made Isa’s harira soup before. so the stew started from there.
I didn’t have harissa paste, so I made my own from Everyday Kitchen book. Some caramelization of the onion and garlic with the harissa spice mix, then tomato paste and mint, some chickpeas, sweet potatoes and simmer and done. Change it up to preference. Use other spice mixes (baharat, berbere from Everyday Kitchen book), or use whichever spices you have.
This stew is flavorful, hearty, versatile and quick.
More stews from the blog
- 1 Pot Chickpea Sweet Potato Spinach Curry GF Soy-free
- Veggie Chickpea Coconut Korma GF soyfree
- Aloo Palak Dal – Instant Pot Potato Spinach Lentil Curry GF Soy-free
- Sweet Potato Peanut Curry GF Soy-free
- Jamaican Curry with Red Lentils & White Beans. GF Soyfree
- Spanish Chickpea Stew. GF soyfree
This Chickpea Sweet Potato Stew is very versatile. Use (1 to 2 tsp) any spice blends such as Berbere, Baharat, Taco blend, cajun, garam masala, or curry powder instead of the harissa mix. You can also use 1 to 2 tbsp red curry paste or green curry paste and add a cup of coconut milk instead of water. Add some more tomatoes for tomatoey stew. Lots of options! You can use store bought spice mixes and curry pastes or make your own. Recipes for all the above in my Everyady Kitchen cookbook
Harissa Chickpea Stew with Sweet Potato
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp paprika or smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp guajillo or new mexico or other mild chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin or caraway
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- zest of 1/2 a lime
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 5 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- 2 cup cooked chickpeas
- 7 to 8 oz cubed sweet potato , about 1 large
- 2 tbsp fresh mint
- 3/4 tsp salt (less or more depending on if the chickpeas are salted)
- 1 cup water
- 2 tbsp tomato paste or use 1/4 cup thick puree/sauce
- Cilantro mint, lime and avocado for garnish
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. When the skillet is hot, add the red pepper flakes and toast them until they change color or get fragrant.
- Add the paprika, cumin, coriander and mix for a few seconds. Add zest and oil and mix in. Add onion, garlic and a good pinch of salt and cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. If the spices start to burn or stick, add a splash of water and mix in. (Or use 1 tbsp or more harissa paste instead of the spices (pepper flakes to coriander). Cook the onion, garlic Add to the oil after the onion and garlic are starting to golden.)
- Add the chickpeas, sweet potato, mint and salt and mix in. Cover and cook for 5 mins. Add water, tomato paste and mix in. *Cover and cook for 15 mins or until sweet potato is cooked through, stir once in between. Uncover and cook for a minute to reduce liquid if needed. *(add other veggies like red bell pepper, zucchini, eggplant for variation).
- Taste and adjust salt and flavor. If the stew is too hot, add in some coconut milk or cashew cream and serve with avocado. If you used premade harissa paste, add more if needed and mix in(flavors vary with brand). Add some smoked paprika for smokyness, black pepper or cayenne for heat, cinnamon for flavor variation.
- Garnish with cilantro, mint, a good splash of lime juice. Serve with crusty bread or flatbread.
We really liked this. i added some fresh Kale and used some tomatoes because I didn’t have tomato paste. It was easy and delicious and will make it again! Thank you for your awesome recipes.
Just made this and it’s so freaking delicious, I’m having to stop myself from going to the kitchen and eating before my husband can eat with me lol
Hi – if you were to add can diced tomatoes would you decrease the 3/4 c liquid measure…for IP and/or stove top?
for ip,yes reduce the liquid. for stove top it will cook out so noneed to reduce
I made this in the IP and was delicious. The only things I changed was extra red pepper flakes (turned out quite spicy like I like it) and I cooked 4 min and allowed pressure to release for 15 mins. I made something recently where my sweet potatoes were a little undercooked which is why I used 4 mins instead of 3, but it was unnecessary. The potatoes were a bit mushy, I may adjust a bit next time, but it was still so good. Very easy and super flavourful.
awesome! sweet potatoes dont take long if they are in some liquid or stew. Steaming might need extra mins.
🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 This was amazing, and so easy! I used harissa paste, more than a tablespoon so it was spicy, and added sliced zucchini and a can of tomatoes. Served with buttery white rice and plain yoghurt. Hubby loved it too!
I made this in the Instant Pot last night. Did three minutes with a quick release instead of a natural release since I always manage to overcook sweet potatoes! I also added the chickpeas to the Instant Pot after I released the pressure so they would not become mushy. What a great quick dinner! It took me less than 30 minutes from start to finish.
If I want to substitute Harissa Paste for the spices, how much should I use?
start with 1 tbsp, add more later if needed.
Cassie Autumn Tran
This is such a beautiful and delicious-looking recipe! Chickpeas, sweet potato, harissa, you can’t beat that trio! I will most definitely try replicating this recipe very soon!
Thanks for the IP instructions. The sweet potatoes fell apart completely and went to mush but the carrots I added held up. I cooked on high pressure fir ten minutes and natural release. Might have been too long. Also used about a cup of water which was a little too much. The taste was amazing and I’ll use it atop rice or quinoa but it was too liquefied to stand alone.
10 mins is a lot. I mentioned 3 mins in the comment above and also to adjust the water to 3/4 cup as water does not evaporate in presusre cooking like it does when cooking on stove top.
Is there an instant pot instructions?
I havent made this in IP yet. It should work for 3 mins manual hi pressure and natural release. Use 3/4 cup liquid. Let meknow if it works and i’ll add those times