This Coconutty Black Eyed Pea stew with Cauliflower and Potatoes is hearty and delicious. Instant Pot Black Eyed Pea Curry with vegetables. Saucepan Option. Gobi Aloo Lobia Vegetarian Black Eyed Peas Recipe. Vegan Gluten-free Soy-free Nut-free Jump to Recipe
This simple Black eyed pea curry is perfect for a weekday dinner. Black Eyed Peas often get overlooked with the popularity of chickpeas. But these humble beans are smooth, delicious and cook much faster (and also cause less gaseous issues).
This curry has simple spices and some coconut. Add vegetables of choice and put it in an Instant Pot, pressure cooker or saucepan and enjoy a hot flavorful curry over Naan, flatbread, or rice/grains. If you have sambhar masala blend, that goes really well in this stew. The dish is finished with a tempering of toasted cumin and curry leaves. You can leave the curry leaves out if you cannot find them and use cilantro instead. This Gobi Aloo Lobhia ( Chawli/Raungi) curry is easy, has a different flavor profile from the North Indian Black eyed Peas curry and is versatile.
The toasty cumin and curry leaf tempering adds a fabulous finishing flavor to the dish. You can make the tempering in the IP itself and reserve some to use as garnish later. For variation use mustard seeds, Make it with other beans or chickpeas and play with the spices.
More Instant Pot Meals from the blog
- Lentil Veggie Dhansak – Lentil Veggie Stew in IP. GF Different from the regular dals.
- Kohlapuri Veggies – Veggies in sesame coconut sauce GF Use up the veggies
- Aloo Palak Dal – Instant Pot Potato Spinach Lentil Curry GF
- IP Masala Baingain – Spiced Eggplant Curry GF Summery
- Brown Chickpea Coconut curry – Kadala Curry. GF A favorite
If you make this curry, do let me know how it turned out!
Instant Pot Black Eyed Pea Curry with Potato and Cauliflower
- 3/4 cup (129 g) black eyed peas soaked for atleast half an hour in warm water
- 1 tsp oil
- ½ (0.5 ) a medium onion chopped
- 5 cloves of garlic chopped
- ½ inch (0.5 inch) ginger finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) garam masala or 1 tsp sambhar masala, or use ½ tsp cumin + ½ tsp coriander
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) ground coriander
- 1 tsp turmeric use less if you are sensitive to the flavor
- ¼ to ½ tsp (1/4 to 1/2 tsp) cayenne
- 2 tbsp shredded coconut dried or fresh
- 2 juicy tomatoes pureed or 1¼ cup
- 1.5 cups (273 g) or more veggies chopped small I use small cauliflower florets and cubed potato or sweet potato
- ¾ tsp (0.75 tsp) or more salt
- 2 cups (500 ml) water
- lemon for garnish
- 1 tsp oil
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) cumin seeds
- 10 curry leaves fresh are best
- Press Saute on Instant Pot and let it get hot. Add oil and spread using a spatula. Add onion, garlic, ginger and cook for 5 mins.
- Add the spices and coconut and mix in. Cook for a minute.
- Add pureed tomato. Mix and bring to a good boil. Add the veggies and mix in.
- Add drained black eyed peas, water and salt and mix in. Close the lid and cook on Manual for 12 to 15 minutes.
- Let the pressure release naturally. Open the lid, add a dash of lemon. Taste and adjust salt, spice and heat.
- Make the tempering. Heat oil in a small skillet. When hot, add cumin seeds and let them change color. Add curry leaves carefully, (they will splutter) then take off heat. Add the tempering over the curry. Serve as a soup in a bowl or over rice or other grains of choice, or with flatbread, Naan or pita bread.
At Step 1, after the oil is hot Add cumin seeds and let them start to change color. Add the curry leaves carefully, if using and mix. then add the onion and continue. Saucepan:
Make sure to soak the black eyed peas for an hour. Follow steps 1 to 3 in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the drained black eyed peas, salt and 3 cups of water. Partially cover and cook for 40 to 45 minutes or until black eyed peas are tender to preference. (add veggies half way through to reduce chances of overcooking). Garnish with tempering and serve.
Variation: Use other beans or chickpeas and other spices.
Use cilantro to sub curry leaves in the tempering. Nutritional values based on one serving