Kadai Paneer Tofu & Peppers. Kadhai Tofu in spiced tomato sauce. Shimla Mirch/ Capsicum, Broccoli and Crisped Hemp Tofu in an easy blender tomato almond sauce make a great Kadai “Paneer” entree for Diwali. Vegan Gluten-free Soy-free Cashew-free Indian Recipe.
This easy entree is full of flavor and comes together with about 20 minutes in the kitchen. Prep, chop, crisp the tofu, peppers, add blended tomato almond spices puree and let it all simmer to perfection.
I used hemp seed Tofu in the pictures. So this dish is soy-free if you use it. Use regular Tofu or steamed tempeh or cooked chickpeas for variation to make Kadai Tempeh or Kadai Chickpeas!. The sauce use almonds for volume and texture. Omit to make nut-free.
Happy Diwali to everyone who is celebrating.
More Indian mains from the blog
- Bombay Potatoes and Peas
- Cauliflower Kofta Curry
- Mushroom Matar MAsala
- Chickpea Tofu and Asparagus Curry
- Dhaba no chickin curry
Happy Dhanteras to everyone who is celebrating. We are making some of the Indian Sweets this weekend to celebrate Diwali. Kbeer, Ladoos, Burfi, Halwa! I made another 3 new desserts, which I don’t know when I will post within the 2 days before Diwali.
Kadai Paneer Tofu & Peppers
- 2 tsp organic canola or safflower oil
- 1/4 cup (35 g) chopped red onion
- 1 green chile chopped
- 3/4 cup (111.75 g) thinly sliced red bell pepper 1/2 red bell pepper
- 1 cup (149 g) thinly sliced green bell pepper 1 medium green pepper
- 1.5 cups (372 g) cubed hemp tofu or Steamed tempeh or pressed and cubed firm tofu
- 1 to 1.5 tsp garam masala
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 inch (0.5 inch) ginger minced
- 1 cup (91 g) small broccoli florets 1 to 1.5 inch size
- 1.5 cups (223.5 g) chopped tomato 2 medium
- 3 Tbsp overnight soaked almonds or almond pulp - leftover after making almond milk
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) red pepper flakes or to taste
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) paprika
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) water
- 3/4 tsp (0.75 tsp) or more salt
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) dried fenugreek leaves
- cilantro for garnish
- In a large skillet, add oil and heat at medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 3 minutes. Add the chile and tofu and cook for 8 minutes or until the peppers and tofu are slightly golden. Stir occasionally. Add the peppers and continue to cook for another 2 mins.
- Meanwhile, blend the tomato, almonds, coriander seeds, pepper flakes, paprika, water into a smooth puree. You might need to blend a couple of 1 minute cycles and set aside.
- Add garam masala, garlic, ginger to the skillet and mix to coat. Add the broccoli and mix in.
- Add the puree to the pan and mix. Add salt, and fenugreek leaves and mix to combine. Cook covered for 20 minutes. Stir once in between
- Taste and adjust salt and spice. Add cayenne for heat if needed. Add nondairy milk for creamy sauce or cook longer to make a dryer dish. Cook for a few more minutes for desired consistency. Serve hot garnished with loads of fresh cilantro. Serve with flatbread or rice.