Who doesn’t like a good chocolate milkshake! After going vegan you might miss your rich and creamy dairy-based smoothies! I’ve got good news for you: While our childhood smoothies had to rely on yogurt and cow’s milk for a smooth and creamy texture, there are so many non-dairy options available these days that whipping up a creamy vegan milkshake has become crazy easy.
These are the easiest ever basic vegan milkshakes for chocoholics. The milkshake recipe makes 1 dairy-free chocolate shake. Yes, I make these sweet treats for just myself 😉
You can add other fun things like nut butter, protein powders, scoops of ice-cream and so on. Check out my add-in suggestions in this post.
Ingredients for making Vegan Milkshakes:
For the Dark Chocolate shake:
- Cocoa powder instead of chocolate chips makes this vegan chocolate milkshake lower in calories than your average chocolate shake.
- Non-dairy milk – a creamy milk like almond, coconut or cashew milk works best for this vegan chocolate shake.
- Medjool dates make a great all-natural sweetener.
For the Vegan Mocha Milkshake
- Dark Chocolate Chips for the ultimate chocolate decadence!
- Almond Milk – I use So Delicious but you can use your favorite brand. Just make sure it doesn’t come with added sugar.
- Raw Sugar (or Medjool Dates) adds a slight molasses-like flavor to these vegan milkshakes that you will love!
- Instant Coffee Powder intensifies the chocolate flavor! You can also use coffee.
Tips and Substitutions for these Vegan Milkshakes:
- Both vegan milkshakes are very customizable to your personal taste.
- I like my vegan chocolate milkshakes not too chilled and not too thick and these are how I take mine. No ice-cubes and just the temperature of the non-dairy milk from the refrigerator.
- Add ice cubes if needed and make these thicker in texture by adding some of the add-ins I listed below (think nuts or nut butter)
- Up the protein content by stirring in some vegan protein powder. You can find a variety of products in many different flavors. Go for one without added sugar to keep these milkshakes healthy.
How to make Vegan Mocha Chocolate Milkshake for 1:
- In a cup, add 2 tablespoons chocolate chips and 2 teaspoon almond milk. I used 1 tablespoon chocolate chips and 1 tablespoon Carob chips.
2. Microwave for a few seconds until the milk gets hot. Whisk till all the chocolate is melted. Add sugar and coffee and whisk to combine.
3. Add the almond milk slowly and keep whisking. Taste and adjust sweet.
4. Serve immediately as is or topped with ice cream.
The Mocha Chocolate milkshake recipe can be made in a blender or in a cup.
How to make Vegan Chocolate Milkshake:
- Add all ingredients to a blender. Blend, taste and adjust for sweetness and intensity of chocolate flavor.
2. Blend and serve as is or topped with non-dairy whipped cream or ice cream.
- almond butter,
- cookie butter,
- pistachio or macadamia butter,
- a scoop of dairy-free vanilla ice cream,
- protein powders,
- raw soaked cashews,
- frozen banana slices
- Hemp Seeds
- chia seeds
- flax seeds ( they can make your smoothie very thick as the flax meal meets the moisture. Adjust liquids as needed )
- pumpkin seeds/pepitas.
More delicious vegan drinks and smoothies on the blog:
- This Thandai – Spiced up almond pistachio milk drink served during Indian festivals.
- My style hot Chai, that we drink every morning.
- This Beet Pear Smoothie.
- and this Mango Strawberry Mint Panna.
Vegan Milkshakes - Dark Chocolate & Mocha ChocolateThick, rich and healthy, these chocolate shakes made with Almond Milk , cocoa powder and dates are my favorite vegan milkshakes ever! Try either my Vegan Mocha Chocolate Shake or my Dark Chocolate Milkshake for the ultimate treat - both are dairy-free and made without refined sugar. Allergy Information: Free of dairy, egg, corn, soy, yeast, gluten, grain. It can be made nut-free with nut-free milk.Servings: 1 shakeCalories: 227.88kcal
Ingredients Mocha Shake:
- 2 tablespoons chocolate chips I used 1 Tablespoon Chocolate chips and 1 Tablespoon Carob chips
- 2 teaspoons almond milk So Delicious unsweetened or other brand
- 1 tablespoon ground raw sugar or use soaked Medjool dates
- 1/2 teaspoon instant coffee or equivalent brewed coffee
- 3/4 cup (6.61 oz) almond milk
- 1/4 cup (2.2 oz) chilled water
Ingredients Chocolate Shake:
- 1 to 1.5 cups (8.35 oz) So Delicious Vanilla unsweetened Cashew milk or use other non dairy milk + vanilla extract
- 3-4 (72 g) Medjool dates soaked for 10 minutes in warm water
- 2 Tablespoon organic cacao powder
How to make Mocha Chocolate Shake in a cup (using a microwave):
- Add the chocolate chips and 2 teaspoons almond milk into a cup.
- Microwave for 30 seconds. Keep whisking until chocolate is well blended.
- Add the sugar and coffee and blend into the chocolate.
- Add 3/4 cup almond milk 1/4 cup at a time and whisk into the chocolate-coffee mixture.
- Add chilled water(optional for a lighter shake), whisk briskly, taste and adjust sweet.
- Serve immediately as is, or topped with ice-cream or whipped coconut cream.
Mocha Chocolate Shake made in a blender and no microwave:
- In a pan, add the chocolate chips and 2-3 teaspoons almond milk and heat on medium heat.
- Keep whisking and take off the heat as the chocolate chips begin to melt. (Or use double boiler method). Whisk until well melted.
- In a blender, add the rest of the ingredients and the melted chocolate.
- Blend well and serve.
Dark Chocolate Milk Shake made in a Blender:
- Add everything to the blender. Blend, taste and adjust for sweetness and chocolate flavor.
- Blend and serve as is or topped with non-dairy whipped cream or ice cream.
NotesIn both the shakes, add ice cubes if needed and other additions like Almond butter/nut butter, a scoop of vanilla ice cream, protein powders, raw soaked cashews, avocados etc.
NutritionNutrition FactsVegan Milkshakes - Dark Chocolate & Mocha ChocolateAmount Per Serving (1 Mocha Chocolate Shake)Calories 227.88 Calories from Fat 84% Daily Value*Fat 9.38g14%Saturated Fat 4.34g27%Cholesterol 4.5mg2%Sodium 277.52mg12%Carbohydrates 33.67g11%Fiber 1.37g6%Sugar 30.86g34%Protein 2.48g5%Vitamin A 67.2IU1%Calcium 271.63mg27%Iron 0.37mg2%* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in September 2013 and has been updated for accuracy and comprehensiveness in November 2019.