Orange Raisin Whole Wheat Bread. Moist, dense, healthy, filling and great for the stomach! Great for snacking. Vegan Recipe. Jump to Recipe
Orange Raisin Whole Wheat Bread
- 3 cups (360 g) whole wheat flour
- 1 cup (125 g) all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons active yeast
- juice of one orange
- 1/2 cup (72 g) raisins
- 1/2 cup (0.03 ml) maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) salt
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons orange zest (i added 1 teaspoon this time, and that wasn't enough)
- 1/2 cup (122 ml) non dairy milk
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1 teaspoon vegan butter melted
- Warm the milk and add yeast to it. Mix well and let stand for 10 minutes.
- In a large pan ,add sugar, honey, salt, nutmeg and all purpose flour and mix well.
- Add in the milk and mix well.
- Add in the orange juice, raisins, zest and 1 cup whole wheat flour. Mix well.
- Add in 1 cup flour at a time and knead into a soft dough. Use some water if necessary.
- Place dough in a well oiled container, covered in a warm oven for about an hour.
- Knead the dough again and make into a bread pan loaf.
- Place dough in the bread pan.
- Place bread pan in warm oven with a container of boiling water for about 30 minutes.
- Remove the pan of water.
- Cover the bread pan with a disposable lasagna pan deep enough to have a couple of inches above the pan. (I found this tip on another baking blog, to trap the steam and get a great crust)
- Bake in pre-heated oven at 350 degrees F for about 25 minutes. Remove lasagna pan after the first 10 mins.
- Brush melted butter on top.
- Cool on rack before slicing.