Red Curry Green Beans – Green Beans Stir fry with red curry paste, kaffir lime, sugar and chile. Pad Prik King Vegan Glutenfree Soyfree Nutfree Recipe
I have always loved the green beans with the hot phrik khing sauce from Thai restaurants. So I decided to make some myself. The traditional version uses a prik khing curry paste. Red curry paste is a close match and the flavors work out beautifully, and I also generally have red curry paste in my pantry.
These red curry green beans are easy and come together really quickly. Toss in some garlic, curry paste, kaffir lime leaves or lime zest, heat and let them cook until tender to preference. The cook time for green beans depends on the type of beans. The thinner beans cook faster, so cook until they are slightly crunchy but done. Add more curry paste and water/broth for saucier beans to serve over plain rice if needed. Add some baked or crisped tofu for variation. Serve with Peanut Sauce Fried Rice or other vegetable fried rice.
More green bean recipes from the blog
- Green Bean Carrot Poriyal. Green bean carrot stir fry with spices and coconut.
- Green beans with fennel seeds, cilantro and lentils
- Greens beans and potatoes
- Green bean and mushroom stuffed pretzels
Red Curry Green Beans, Served here with Peanut Sauce Fried Rice.
Red Curry Green Beans Thai Pad Prik King
- Bunch Green Beans 2 to 3 cups, chopped into 3 to 4 inch size
- 2 tsp oil
- 3 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- 3-4 tbsp (3 tbsp) red curry paste use a fish free brand
- 2 tsp soy sauce or use coconut aminos + some tamarind paste to make soy-free
- 1 tsp lemon or lime juice
- 1 tbsp kaffir lime leaves or zest of half a lime
- 3 tbsp water or veggie broth
- 1 1/2-2 tsp (1.5 tsp) sugar
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) or more cayenne or to taste
- a dash of salt
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Blanch the green beans for 2 minutes, drain and keep aside. If using thinner beans like haricot verts, blanch for 1 minute.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium low heat. Add garlic and cook until translucent. 2 minutes.
- Add the red curry paste and mix and cook until fragrant . 1 minute.
- Add the soy sauce, lemon, lime leaves or zest, water, sugar, cayenne and salt and mix well. Increase heat to medium. Cook for a minute.
- Add the green beans. toss to coat. Cover and cook for 3 to 6 minutes or until tender to preference.
- Taste and adjust salt, sweet, and spice. I added some red pepper flakes as the curry paste I use is not hot. Serve hot with rice or noodles or cooked grains of choice. The beans can also be garnished with crushed peanuts or almonds and cilantro.