Easy Spaghetti with toasted garlic breadcrumbs and blistered cauliflower. 30 Min Vegan Pasta Meal with toasted breadcrumbs and roasted cauliflower. Vegan Nutfree Soyfree Recipe Jump to Recipe
I had been eyeing Mario batali’s toasted breadcrumb spaghetti when I first happened upon it. The toasty garlic and breadcrumb idea was intriguing. I changed up the process to toast the breadcrumbs and garlic together. The flavor of the mix is enhanced with some lemon zest and pepper instead of cheese. The dish gets rounded up with some blistered cauliflower that enhances the toastyness and balances the garlic and parsley.
I use fresh bread for breadcrumbs in this dish as the breadcrumbs are tastier, less dry and absorb a lot more flavor. Be generous with the garlic, breadcrumbs, toasting time and parsley or other favorite fresh herb! Lets make it.
Ingredients for Spaghetti with toasted garlic breadcrumbs
- Spaghetti is the pasta of choice for this dish. It goes very well with toasted breadcrumbs and garlic.
- Small Cauliflower florets are blistered or roasted with pepper and parsley and added for texture and to balance out the garlic. You can use other veggies such as zucchini, asparagus or mushrooms.
- Fresh breadcrumbs made by processing bread slices of choice and loads of minced garlic are toasted in olive oil until nicely golden. Fresh bread crumbs are tastier, less dry and absorb a lot more flavor, Panko will work too.
- lemon zest, pepper, oregano and a good amount of parsley are added to brighten up the garlic breadcrumb mixture. I also add some almond flour for texture and nuttyness for a parm kind of feel, almond flour is optional.
- To make this gluten-free, use glutenfree pasta and glutenfree breadcrumbs.
Assemble the ingredients. Cook the spaghetti according to instructions on package. Pulse day old bread in a food processor to make breadcrumbs.
Cook the cauliflower on the skillet until brown on some edges. Then cover and cook for 2 mins to steam.
Toast garlic and breadcrumbs until golden. Add parsley, oregano, lemon zest and mix. Reserve half of the mixture for garnishing.
Add cooked spaghetti and more parsley and toss. Add some water or olive oil to moisten if needed. Garnish with the rest of the breadcrumb mixture and blistered cauliflower.
Tips to make Spaghetti with toasted garlic breadcrumbs
- Use fresh breadcrumbs as they absorb more flavor and are less dry.
- Toast the breadcrumbs until nicely golden for a delicious flavor
- This dish benefits from fresh everything. Just cooked spaghetti, toassed with just toasted breadcrumb mixture and served immediately. Fresh pasta and toasted breadcrumbs are moist enough when fresh. They will tend to dry out as the pasta sits.
- You can add blistered cherry tomatoes, olive oil or vegan cheese for additional moisture/flavor
More Pasta from the blog
- Lemon Asparagus Fettuccine, so Creamy!
- Sundried Tomato and Garlic Pasta with Soy curls.So beautiful!
- Garlic Pasta with Cajun Cauliflower – super popular
- Rose Sauce Farfalle – so Creamy!
- Lentil Bolognese with Spaghetti.– Hearty
- Cauliflower Parmesan Pasta Bake – sliced cauliflower, baked then dressed in vegan mozz, baked over pasta
- Chickpea Chorizo, Quinoa shells in tomato sauce. GF – So Meaty.
Spaghetti with Toasted Garlic Breadcrumbs and blistered Cauliflower
- 10 oz spaghetti or other similar pasta
- 1 tsp oil
- 2 cups cauliflower florets , small florets
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley or other fresh herbs such as basil or oregano or a mix
- pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cloves of garlic , minced or finely chopped
- 3/4 cups breadcrumbs made from 2 slices of bread , let them sit on the counter for 15 mins, or toast for half a minute, You can also use panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp almond flour , optional
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley or more
- pepper flakes, lemon juice, olive oil for garnish
- Cook the spaghetti according to instruction on the package, rinse in cold water and set aside. You can start the water and add the spaghetti when boiling, around the time the cauliflower is done.
- Cook the Cauliflower: Heat a cast iron skillet over medium high heat. When the skillet is evenly hot, add oil. Add the cauliflower and toss. Let the cauliflower cook for 3 to 4 mins until browning on some edges. Move it around once in between. Add black pepper or pepper flakes, a good dash salt, parsley and toss well. Cover and cook for another 2-3 mins (this will steam cook the cauliflower). Cook time will depend on the stove and the size of the cauliflower. Cook until al dente. Remove from the skillet.
- Make the breadcrumbs by pulsing bread in a food processor until coarse crumbs. Heat the same skillet over medium heat. Add olive oil and garlic and cook for 1-2 mins until the garlic is just starting to turn translucent and fragrant. Add the breadcrumbs and toss well. Cook for 6 to 8 mins or until nicely toasted(dark golden, not brown/burnt. Reduce heat if needed for gentle toasting). Stir occasionally.
- Add in the optional almond flour, zest, salt and pepper and mix well. Reserve a tbsp of parsley for garnish and add the rest to the mixture. Mix well and remove 2/3 of the breadcrumbs from the skillet.
- Add the spaghetti and toss well to coat. If the noodles are drying, add 2-3 tbsp water and toss. Take off heat.
- Divide the noodles into serving dishes. sprinkle liberally with the toasted breadcrumb mixture and lightly toss. Add some vegan parm if you have. Add blistered cauliflower, some olive oil or lemon juice, generous dash of red pepper flakes and serve immediately.
- This dish is best served fresh as the toasted breadcrumbs are crisp, spaghetti has enough moisture, and cauliflower is crisp and flavorful when hot. Add some roasted cherry tomatoes(see notes) or vegan cheese shreds for additional moisture. If planning to store, then store the breadcrumb mixture separately.
Simple & lovely.
Vegan Richa Support
thanks for popping in ♡
Wow! This was so good! I added the roasted cherry tomatoes and my mother, who is normally very picky and suspicious of vegan food, told me many times how delicious it was! Baking the cauliflower and tomatoes together was a huge timesaver, also. I love that your recipes keep the oil to a reasonable amount and provide a calorie count. Thank you!!!
Vegan Richa Support
that is hilarious and cute. I wonder if she knew beforehand exactly what she was about to enjoy….. thanks
I’m eating this now! Pretty damn good with a bit of lemon juice squeezed over the top and a ton of parmesan hehehe. So quick and easy to make and that’ll always give you a 5 star rating with me. 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
I just moved to Portugal and we’ve been loving the food but have been craving something different. I just happened to have everything needed in my fridge/cupboard, including our own olive oil that we picked the fruit for 36 hours ago, and was pressed yesterday! So our inaugural olive oil meal 🙂 Delish, definitely will make it again.
My husband and I made this tonight with the roasted cherry tomatoes on the side and WOW!! So, so comforting and delicious! The red pepper flakes finish this beautifully and the roasted tomatoes add a flavour pop not to be missed. Planning to make your chick pea tahini sandwich next! Thank you for, not only a delicious recipe, but such clear direction with options. Much love. We are new fans.
This is such a fantastic recipe! Who knew just toasted breadcrumbs and herbs would make a delicious pasta dish! It will be in our regular rotation.
Heidi Da Silva
Just saw the recipe and I had to try it. The lemon/almond meal breadcrumbs were the star for me. I used toasted sourdough bread for the crumbs. It all came together quickly and both my kids, ages 14 and 11 enjoyed it. It’s a definite make again for us. I added extra olive oil once it was plated and think next time I’ll add a bit of vegan butter for a bit of creaminess.
Richard Claude Holdridge
Uhhh…. pasta isn’t vegan
Many of the dry pasta brands are accidentally vegan as they only use semolina or flour
Very simple, very tasty. I had no parsley so I used dried basil, coriander and Italian seasoning blend. I’ll make it again.
I used to make something like this for my girls. It was one of their most requested meals. I tore up bread and threw it in a pan with ‘butter’ and garlic salt. They loved broccoli, so we steamed it and then tossed it all together with spaghetti noodles and a healthy amount of lemon pepper. I’m going to have to try your version, now. Thanks!
Awesome! Right!, all of the flavors go so well together. Garlic, toasty breadcrumbs, lemon, pepper. quick and so delicious