Spicy Hemp Crusted Jackfruit Nuggets. Jackfruit spiced and breaded in hemp and spice breading and baked. Vegan Gluten-free Soy-free Recipe.
Snacking just got better with these Spicy Breaded Jackfruit Bites! Jackfruit is dipped in a flavorful batter, rolled in spices and hemp seeds and baked to crisp. Serve this with a favorite cooling dipping sauce.
I often make these with breadcrumbs for a crispier result. Use panko breadcrumbs or coarsely ground nuts for variation. The recipe is easily doubled (which is a great idea to double, because you will want all of it!).
Unripe Jackfruit is used as a vegetable in many asian dishes. It has become popular as a meat substitute in other cuisines. In this recipe, I use the spices and batter that would make a fried chikin nugget kind of result with the jackfruit slices. Try these snack bites with Jackfruit, chikin subs or other veggies.
These bites are crunchy and amazing with breadcrumbs. Adjust seasoning and heat to taste, or use other spices and herbs for variation. If you make these, do let me know in the comments.
More Snackage from the blog
- Crispy Kung Pao Caulfilower – hot!
- Baked Popcorn Okra – yes
- Samosa Pinwheels.- always a winner
- Jalapeno Corn Fritters – summery
- Garlic Fries with Garlic hummus sauce– so easy and so good
Spicy Hemp Crusted Jackfruit Nuggets
- 20 oz (566.99 g) can of young green jackfruit
- 1 cup (250 ml) water
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) onion powder
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) old bay seasoning or use garam masala + celery salt
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) salt
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) cayenne
Breading Milk mixture:
- 1/2 cup (122 ml) non dairy milk
- 2 tbsp flax seed meal
- 1 tbsp starch such as corn or arrowroot
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) garlic
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) onion powder
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) old bay seasoning
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) dried sage
Breading dry mixture:
- 1/3 cup (66.67 g) hemp seeds or more almond meal or panko breadcrumbs (breadcrumbs make crispiest)
- 2 tbsp almond meal
- 1/2 to 1 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) garlic powder
- Drain the jackfruit. Wrap in paper towel and squeeze lightly to remove excess brine. Slice into bite size slices. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F / 200ºc.
- Combine jackfruit in a saucepan with water, garlic, garam masala, salt and cayenne and bring to a boil. Cook for 6 to 7 minutes. Total about 13 minutes. Drain, squeeze lightly and place on parchment lined baking sheet. Bake fo 10 minutes to dry out slightly. (this step adds flavor the the jackfruit bites).
- Prepare your breading station. In a bowl, mix the non dairy milk, spices, flax and starch until smooth. Let it sit for 2 minutes.
- In a shallow bowl combine the hemp breading and spices.
- Take each jackfruit slice, dip in the milk mixture, then place in breading bowl. Move it around to cover all the surfaces, place on parchment lined baking tray. Repeat for all pieces. Spray oil on the pieces.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes. Serve with your favorite cooling dipping sauce like vegan ranch.
I followed the recipe with air fryer to a tee. Wow it rocked and I added barbecue sauce to it after.
could you replace the jackfruit with a more common ingredient?
Adri, I think you could use most of the meat substitutes. Tofu, tempeh, seitan, cauliflower, yuba, most of the hard-ish veggies, the list goes on.
PS Not rating recipe as I haven’t made it yet. But from my cooking experience, and reading this, I am guessing it’s fabulous!!!
Yes, you can use tofu (marinate it in the batter for half an hour and then use. Cauliflwoer will work well just as jackfruit.
Where do you buy your canned jackfruit from? Or do you know of places that sell it in London?
I can never seem to find it!!
I dont know about london. I saw a few canned young jackfruit cans in brine and water on amazon.co.uk
Trader Joes just started selling it! I bought a can today and will definitely be trying this recipe out this weekend 🙂
Richa, this looks awesome. Can’t wait to try it. Thank you boss lady
Izzy | Pinch of delight
OMG! These turned out so good! I used breadcrumbs and also added some cauliflower florets tot eh mix. Perfect!
This looks incredibly delicious and I have every ingredient in the pantry. This is actually going to be the main course tonight.