Mac and cheese balls! Mac and cheese is great as is of course. It can be made more fun if you put it on a Pizza, sandwich, wrap or bake it up into crispy spicy breaded baked mac and cheese balls!
Creamy mac and cheese with extra sauce that thickens considerably after sitting in the refrigerator works best. I used my Masala mac. Added some tomato paste, breaded and baked it, spiced it up with a drizzle of Sriracha before serving.
There are many ways to make mac balls. Most require some freezing time so the balls can hold their shape while you handle them for the breading. I reduced all that time by using a bowl to pack the mac in and then sprinkling the breaking on it. This way it is easier and less messy. You can use the freezing method for sturdier balls.
More fun baked stuff from the blog
- Spicy Baked Cauliflower Bites with Celery Ranch. Vegan
- Nacho Mac and Cheese Casserole
- Baked Lentil split Pea Falafel Bowl
Spicy Mac and Cheese Balls Baked
- 1 recipe of my masala mac or spicy mac
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
For the breading:
- 3/4 cup (81 g) breadcrumbs
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) salt
- 3/4 to 1 tsp cayenne
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) paprika
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) garlic granules
- 2 tsp italian herb blend
- Make the mac and cheese. Mix in the tomato paste and let it chill overnight.
- To Bake: Mix everything under breadcrumbs.
- Remove the mac from refrigerator. Dip a round bottom 1/4 cup or smaller round bowl type container in a bowl water to wet the cup. Pack 3 to 4 tablespoons worth mac in the container. sprinkle breadcrumb mixture on the open end of the cup and press to stick the breading as well as pack the mac well. Tap to release onto a baking sheet. Dip the cup in water again to rinse and wet and Repeat for the rest of the mac. Sprinkle breadcrumb mixture liberally on the mac balls and press. Spray oil on the balls.
- Alternatively, use your hands to make balls of the mac, place in breadcrumb mixture to coat and then place on baking sheet. You can freeze the balls for 10 minutes at this point. I usually dont because I can't wait :). Pre-heat the oven to 450 degrees F / 230ºc. Spray oil on the balls.
- Bake for 15 to 17 minutes at 450 degrees F / 230ºc or until crisp to touch. Drizzle with sriracha and serve.