A strawberry ice cream loaf. A fun bread loaf with a delicious strawberry taste when toasted. Enjoy with tea or coffee. Vegan Recipe. Jump to Recipe
Its still a bit cold here, so the icecreams in the freezer have been sitting since the past months looking at me and saying “Use me, before I end up in compost”..
So I picked out the Dreyers Strawberry Icecream and used up a nice chunk of it in the bread. I love strawberries in bread and have made quite a few last year, but fresh strawberries are kinda out of season right now.. so as well use some ice creamy goodness.! The bread turned out nice and fluffy and the strawberry taste comes out when toasted!.
This one is headed to Susan’s Yeastspotting and Champa’s weekly Bake off ! And to Priya’s Cooking with Seeds event
Strawberry Ice Cream Loaf
A strawberry ice cream loaf. A fun bread loaf with a delicious strawberry taste when toasted. Enjoy with tea or coffee. Vegan Recipe.
Servings: 16 slices (1 loaf)
- 2 cups (240 g) whole wheat flour
- 2.5 cups (310 g) bread flour
- 1/2 cup (40 g) oats
- 1/4 cup (42 g) flax seeds
- 1 teaspoon raw sugar
- 1.5 teaspoons active yeast
- 3/4 cup (... ) water
- 7-8 tablespoons (7 tablespoons) vegan strawberry ice cream (more for a sweeter bread)
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) salt
- Add the yeast and sugar to 1/4 cup warm water and mix well. Let stand for 10 minutes or until frothy.
- In a blender, dry blend the flax seeds and oats . You can use flaxseed meal as well.
- In the mixer bowl add the flours, salt and the oats and flaxseed and mix.
- Add in the yeast mixture, softened butter, strawberry icecream and half cup warm water.
- Knead the dough for 8-10 minutes, scraping sides every 2-3 minutes. add more flour or water in little quantities if needed.
- Spritz the top of dough with some oil spray. Place dough in a covered container in a warm place for 1.5 hours.
- Punch it lightly and shape into a loaf by pulling on all sides, or by rolling it out into a rectangle and rolling the rectangle from one side and tucking the other edge under.
- Place loaf in greased bread pan. Spritz the top with a little oil spray and cover with damp towel.
- Place it in a warm place or warm oven for about an hour.
- Remove towel, spritz top with some water and bake at 375 degrees F for 40-45 minutes.
- Remove bread from pan and let cool for atleast an hour.
- I usually refrigerate it for another hour before slicing. The breads are usually quite fluffy and soft and refrigeration makes them a bit firm for nice and clean slices!
- Total time does not include 2.5 hours proving time
- Nutritional value is based on 1 slice
Strawberry Ice Cream Loaf
Amount Per Serving
Calories 156 Calories from Fat 18
% Daily Value*
Vitamin A 35IU1%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.