Vegan Cauliflower Pea Curry – 1 Pot Gobi Matar masala. This cauliflower peas curry gets baked in the oven. Creamy roasted flavors without standing around roasting the sauce. Vegan Glutenfree Nutfree Soyfree Recipe. Add some cooked chickpeas to make a meal. Jump to Recipe
I like hands-off meals at times and this baked Cauliflower Curry is just that Once you have the sauce blended, mix it with veggies and put it to bake and forget it. The sauce bakes to a nice roasted creamyness and is great with a variety of veggies and beans.
Cauliflower is baked for a few mins with cumin seeds and garlic. You want to bake just enough time to cook the garlic to golden. Baking too long will burn the garlic. This time will also roast the cumin seeds taking away the raw flavor. The sauce is then blended with all the ingredients in a blender. Add to the baking dish, add peas or chickpeas and bake until the veggies are cooked to preference. Garnish and serve with flatbread or grains. Easy, Quick and Delicious!
Ingredients for the Vegan Cauliflower Pea Curry – Gobi Matar
- Cauliflower florets are roasted for a few mins with cumin seeds and chopped garlic.
- The sauce is made by blending the base ingredients coconut milk, tomato paste, and flour with flavor ingredients like ginger, onion flakes, garam masala, cumin, coriander, fenugreek leaves and salt.
- Peas are added along with the sauce for a pop of texture and color. You can also add cooked chickpeas.
- Variations: Add other veggies such as small cubed potato, zucchini, peppers, root veggies etc. Fold in greens like spinach at the end.
- Fenugreek leaves sub: Fenugreek leaves add a bitter sweet flavor to the sauce. To substitute, use 1/4 tsp ground mustard and 1 tsp maple syrup(omit the sugar).
- This recipe is allergen friendly and free of most allergens. Coconut milk can be subbed with an alternate non dairy milk. If the non dairy milk is too thin, blend it with 1/4 cup raw cashews until smooth and then use.
- Oilfree: Bake the cauliflower without the oil for 10 mins. Blend the sauce and add to the dish and continue.
Brush oil on a baking dish. Add cumin seeds and garlic. Spread cauliflower and sprinkle some salt. Bake for 12 mins. You want tobake just enough time to cook the garlic to golden. Baking too long will burn the garlic.
Blend the sauce ingredients until smooth. Add to the baking dish and mix. Add peas or chickpeas and mix and bake for 25 mins.
Garnish with cilantro and pepper flakes and serve with rice or flatbread. A side of cucumber salad works very well with the curry.
More Curries to try
- Butter Tofu GF
- IP Tikka Masala Simmer Sauce , with Cauliflower. GF
- Tofu Amritsari Masala.GF
- Instant Pot Vegan Butter Chickin(soycurls). GF – Creamy, Delicious
- Mushroom Matar Masala
- Bombay Potato and Peas
- Tofu in Spinach Curry – Palak Tofu
To Store: Store in the refrigerator for upto 3 days freeze upto a month.
- Add cooked chickpeas or white beans to make it into a meal.
- Add other veggies such as small cubed potato, zucchini, peppers, root veggies instead of cauliflower or along with the cauliflower. Depending onthe quantity of the veggies, you may have to double the sauce.
- 9by 9 or 10 by 7 inch or larger baking dish
- Knife and cutting board to chop
Vegan Cauliflower Pea Curry - 1 Pot Gobi Matar
- 1 tsp oil
- 1/4 tsp cumin seeds
- 3 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- 1 (265 g) small head of cauliflower choped into florets
- 1 cup (236.59 ml) coconut milk , preferably full fat canned
- 1 tsp flour or rice flour for glutenfree
- 1 inch ginger chopped
- 3 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1.5 tsp dried onion flakes or 3/4 tsp onion granules powder
- 1/3 to 1/2 tsp cayenne/red chili powder
- 1.5 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1.5 tsp dried Fenugreek Leaves (kasuri methoptional
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 tsp sugar or maple syrup
- 1/2 cup (118.29 ml) water divided
- 1/2 cup green peas or use 1 cup cooked chickpeas or other beans
- cilantro, pepper flakes, lemon for garnish
- Drizzle and spread or spray oil on a (9 by 9 inch or 10 by 7 or similar) baking dish. Add cumin and garlic, then cauliflower and sprinkle 1/4 tsp salt.
- Bake at 400 def F (205 C) for 12 mins.
- Meanwhile Blend the sauce ingredients and 1/4 cup water. Drizzle over the cauliflower. Use 1/4 cup water to rinse out the blender and add to the dish.
- Add the peas (or add a cup of cooked chickpeas instead). Add a chopped small tomato for texture if you like, and bake for 25 mins. Check the cauliflower if tender to preference.
- Continue to bake for another 5 to 10 mins if needed at 350 F (180 C). Garnish with cilantro and lemon juice. Serve with rice/grains or flatbread and a side salad. To Store: Refrigerate for upto 3 days, freeze for upto a month.
- Stovetop: Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add oil, cumin seeds and cook until cumin seeds are fragrant, then add garlic and cook for a minute. Add cauliflower and a pinch of salt, toss well and cook for 3 mins, stirring once in between.Meanwhile blend the sauce ingredients then add to the pan. Partially cover and cook for 13-14 mins or until cauliflower is tender. Add in the peas, taste and adjust salt and flavor. Take off heat. Cover and let sit for another 2 mins.
Coconut milk sub: Use an alternate non dairy milk. If the non dairy milk is too thin, blend it with 1/4 cup cashews until smooth and then use. Oilfree: Bake the cauliflower without the oil for 10 mins. Blend the sauce and add to the dish and continue. Nutrition is for 1 serve
Hi! I was just wondering – when you talk about coconut milk, do you mean tinned coconut milk, or coconut milk in a carton similar to oat/rice/almond milk? Thanks 🙂