One week to halloween and loads to do. Carve the pumpkins, Setup some decoration, think of costumes for chewie. I am not sure if Chewie will love wearing anything elaborate. Plus he never gets to meet the trick or treating visitors. They get scared of his barking. He is a super friendly dog. But someone coming to his home, ringing the bell, means he will bark at you until you address him name nicely and give him some love. No petting means no tail wags.
A super easy Cheddar Cheese ball today that you can shape into a pumpkin or any other shape you like or serve as is. Savory is the game on the blog for halloween. There are hardly any candy recipes on the blog for halloween, but there are tons of pumpkin things (cookies, muffins, cakes) to make.
This Cheese ball is Nut-free, yup no Cashews! See below to find out what is this cheese made of! Allergen friendly and fabulous! Make some and Pin this post.
More halloweeny options from the blog
- Falafel Witch fingers. No sugar!
- Adorable Ghost Pizzas
- Mummy Veggie Dogs
- Pumpkin chocolate chip Spider cookies
- Extra Sharp Cheddar Holiday Cheeseball by Somer – Make this cheese ball for nut based version. It is delicious!
More Pumpkin things
More Cheese things. See my Vegan Cheeses including Mozzarella, Pepper Jack, Green goddess Gouda, Nacho slices and more.
*To make a super easy vegan cheese ball, pulse vegan cream cheese and daiya cheese blocks like havarti in a processor. Add in herbs, chopped chile or nuts etc. Shape into ball, coat in herbs or toasted nuts/seeds, chill and serve.
Blend all the ingredients for the cheese until smooth. Add too a skillet and cook until custard like. The chickpea flour thickens up allthe liquid in the recipe into a creamy mixture, that sets as it sits. So you get about a scant 3/4 cup cheese mixture from the recipe.
Drop into greased bowls. Even out the tops with greased hands.
Remove from bowls and place over each other. Press a bit to stick. Sprinkle breadcrumb, nooch, paprika mixture on the ball or finely chopped herbs. Serve.
Vegan Cheese Ball No Nuts Cheddar Cheese Ball
For the Cheese:
- 2 scant tablespoons chickpea flour garbanzo bean flour or 2 full Tbsp besan
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 to 3/4 tbsp prepared mustard
- 1/2 tbsp (0.5 tbsp) sliced pickled jalapeno
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/3 tsp (0.33 tsp) garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) turmeric for color
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) smoked paprika
- 1 to 1.5 tbsp lemon juice more for sharper/tangier
- 1 tbsp tahini 2 tbsp for more texture
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) water
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) or more salt
- a generous pinch of black pepper
Other add ins:
- red pepper flakes chopped roasted hatch or jalapeno chile, 1 to 2 tbsp daiya cheddar shreds or other vegan cheddar
- add rejuvelac or miso or sundried tomato for tangier flavor
- 2 tbsp bread crumbs use tortilla chips to make gluten-free
- 2 tsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 to 1 tsp paprika or cayenne
- In a blender blend all the ingredients under cheese until smooth. Blend well. Pour into a small skillet over medium-low heat. Add the other add ins like pepper flakes or chili if you like. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Stir frequently. The mixture will get lumpy and then smooth out into a custard-ish consistency. You can taste the mixture carefully at this point and adjust salt/tang . So not add too much mustard, the mustard taste gets very strong as the cheese sits. Continue to cook for another 1 to 2 minutes or until the chickpea flour does not taste raw.
- Grease the containers you plan to use to store the mixture in. Pour mixture in the container/s. Use greased hands to press or even it out. Let it chill for an hour. I used 2 small bowls. *The chickpea flour thickens up allthe liquid in the recipe into a creamy mixture, that sets as it sits. So you get about a scant 3/4 cup cheese mixture from the recipe.
- To make the bread crumb coating: Pulse the bread crumbs, nutritional yeast and spices a few times. Place in a bowl.
- Remove the cheese from the container, place over each other to form a ball. Press slightly to stick. Roll in the bowl to coat or sprinkle the coating on the ball generously on all sides. Or press finely chopped herbs of choice all over. Place on a plate. Serve as is, or warm for a few seconds in the microwave and serve.
- *If it doesn't work out well, melt the cheese with non dairy milk in a skillet and use for mac and cheese.
Reading for the week.
Why is Dairy Cheese as addictive as drugs and hard to give up. Cheese happens to be addictive because of an ingredient called casein, a protein found in all milk products. During digestion, casein releases opiates called casomorphins, which play with the dopamine receptors and trigger that addictive element.
Read about the US Meat Industry’s wildly successful crusade to keep a hold on the American Diet. From the article “Rejecting the advice of their own expert panel, the US Department of Agriculture (USDA) and the US Department of Health & Human Services (HHS) announced this month that the latest edition of the Dietary Guidelines for Americans will not include considerations of environmental sustainability. Had they decided otherwise, they likely would have recommended that people lower their intake of meat, the production of which is widely recognized as a major contributor to climate change.
Health advocates are still hoping that the final guidelines, to be unveiled later this year, will include a directive to eat less red and processed meats, based on nutrition and health concerns alone. But if history is any indication, that hope is likely to go unfulfilled.”
Bacon and Sausages as big a cancer threat at cigarettes.“Red meat will also be declared “probably carcinogenic to humans”, and will be ranked as only slightly less dangerous than preserved products”.