Vegan Gluten-free Lemon Donuts Recipe. 1 Bowl or Blender. These baked gluten free doughnuts are amazingly soft and moist. They are Grain-free, Easy, Zesty Chickpea flour Donuts. Use lemon or lime. Baked Vegan Doughnuts. Glutenfree Grainfree Soyfree Yeast-free Paleo Can be nutfree.
I keep trying gluten-free baking on and off. Some recipes that I try from cookbooks turn out ok to a mess. Doughnuts are a difficult baking task esp if made gluten-free, as they are supposed to be soft, moist, airy and a bit chewy. These baked doughnuts come very close. And the best part is that they use a few ingredients(flour lemon, leavening, flavor), no xanthan gum, no rice flour, no oats, no grain!
I looked again to my Indian roots to make these doughnuts. Chickpea flour/besan makes a great dhokla, which is a steamed savory cake. It uses just 1 ingredient, chickpea flour and spices and some leavening and boom, you have a soft, moist cakey bread. I used a similar batter, added a bit of starch to hold the shape better, and some almond flour for texture and volume. You can easily make these without the almond flour. Just add more flour.
These doughnuts come out better with besan. Chickpea flour makes a stronger flavor and slightly less moist version. Yes they are not the same flour. Besan is flour of skinless brown chickpeas or chana dal and chickpea flour in the US is generally white chickpea /garbanzo bean flour. Besan is available online on amazon or in Indian stores(its very cheap in Indian stores). If you use chickpea flour, add more zest and dont store the donught longer than a few hours. The chickpea flour flavor gets more prominent. Lets get to these lemony bites!
* Jump to Recipe!
I used simple sugar glaze on these. Add some chia or poppy seeds on top. or use a cream cheese style frosting. These are good by themselves too. I generally add a drizzle of the glaze rather than dip the entire doughtnut in it. Just a bit of glaze is enough to add the moisture and sweetness.
Fore regular flour Yeasted Classic Doughnuts, see these.
More gluten-free vegan bakes from the blog.
- Zucchini Bread Loaf. GF Gum-free Yeast-free
- Pumpkin Banana Cranberry Bread – GF Yeast-free
- Almond Butter Blondies GF
- Banana Walnut Loaf – GF Gum-free Yeast-free
- Coconut Flour Brownies GF Gum-free
- Lentil Sandwich Bread – GF Gum-free Yeast-free
And while you are here, do see these pictures of animals in zoos on WashPo. The images are from a book called “Captive” which has pictures from zoos across 5 continents. There is a common theme across all, most zoos are for profit, most zoos breed and keep breeding not-endangered species for profit, and then dispose off excess, there is small conservation effort connection if any, many of the programs and efforts that are called conservation related are not clear conservation efforts, the animals live sad and alone lives in a prison, which sometimes is a tiny room or a large yard.
So Soft! These take just 1 Bowl or a blender to make! Add a glaze or frosting of choice.
The batter is a thin pancake like batter that is blended and poured into a doughnut pan. The pan is kept on a baking sheet to reduce browning and hence drying of the doughnut surface. Then another baking sheet is kept on top of the pan to trap the moisture during baking, just like steaming a dhokla. This is an essential step so that the baked result is soft and not dry. Almost 3 gm of protein per doughnut, there are pretty filling.
Besan or chickpea flour can be an acquired flavor. The lemon masks a lot of it in these doughnuts. Bake 1 doughnut or a muffin to check how you like the flavor and if the batter is working well. Then adjust the flavor by adding more vanilla, more nutmeg.
If you make these, do let me know how they worked out in terms of flavor, texture. Feedback, suggestions, or anything else, comment on this post and rate the recipe!
Bake 1 doughnut to check the texture and bake time. If the doughnut is a bit gummy, its probably either because it didnt bake through in time, so increase bake time, Or the batter needs more flour (depends on how the flour is packed, other wet measurements, sugar etc). Add a tbsp or so more besan and mix into the batter.
Vegan Gluten-free Lemon Donuts. Grain-free Baked Vegan Doughnuts
- 3/4 cup (90 g) besan gram flour
- 3 tbsp cornstarch or potato starch or more besan, you might need an additional tbsp of water with besan
- 2 tbsp almond flour or use more besan
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) salt
- Zest of half or whole for zestier a lemon, or whole lime
- 1 tsp baking powder divided
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) baking soda.
- Juice of a lemon or lime 2 to 2.5 tbsp
- 1/3 cup (66.67 g) sugar 1 tbsp more for sweeter
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) vanilla extract
- a pinch of nutmeg
- 1.5 tsp white or apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) water scant
- 1/4 cup (56 ml) oil
- 3/4 cup (150 g) raw sugar or powdered
- 1 to 2 tbsp non dairy milk or lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F / 200ºc. Grease the doughnut pan really well. Also keep 2 baking sheets (larger than the pan handy).
- In a blender, add the flour, starch, almond flour, salt, 1/2 tsp baking powder and zest.
- Add the wet ingredients and blend until the sugar is combined and the batter is smooth. you want to add not more than total of 2/3 cup liquid(water and lemon juice). You can also mix these in a bowl. The batter should be like a pancake batter on the thin side.
- Now, add the remaining baking powder and baking soda and pulse a few times to combine or use a spoon to mix in well. Let the mixture sit for a minute to get slightly frothy. The lemon and baking powder will react to make the batter frothy.
- Pour into prepared donut pan. Fill not more than 2/3 of the height. Place doughnut pan on a baking sheet. Place another baking sheet on top. This will create chamber where some of the steam will stay during baking instead of escaping.
- Bake for 11 minutes, them remove the top sheet and bake for another 4 to 5 minutes. total 15-16 minutes.
- Take the pan out and let it sit for a minute, then pat to remove the doughnuts. Let the doughnuts cool completely for 15 minutes. Then frost and let the frosting sit for a few minutes then serve. If not serving immediately, store in airtight container for the day.
- Powder the sugar in a blender with 1 tbsp cornstarch. Add to a bowl and add 1 to 2 tbsp non dairy milk or lemon juice and a good pinch of salt. Mix until smooth. Dip donuts in the glaze or drizzle some on the doughnuts. I usually like to drizzle so there is just a bit of glaze and hence less sugar for added moisture.
If you use chickpea flour, add more zest and dont store the donught longer than a few hours. The chickpea flour flavor gets more prominent. To make these into Muffins/cupcakes: Make the batter by following steps 1 to 4. Pour in a greased muffin pan. Place the pan on a baking sheet and place another tall baking sheet on top of the muffin pan. Bake for 12 minutes at 400 degrees F. Bake for 5 minutes or longer until toothpick from the center comes out clean. Nutritional values based on one serving