Vegan Gluten free Zucchini Lasagna with creamy Tofu Herb Ricotta and Red Lentils! Grain-free, can be nut-free. 15 G of Protein. Can be made ahead. Soy-free option Jump to Recipe
Sometimes you need a hearty lasagna, all the layers and fix ins, but less the gluten! This Zucchini Lasagna fits right in.
With layers of your favorite red pasta sauce, some super creamy tofu herb ricotta, zucchini, and red lentils for added texture and protein, this lasagna comes together quickly, needs just 1 food processor. No need to cook the lentils! Just mix them into the marinara sauce or sprinkle them when layering. There is enough moisture to cook them and enough baking time! Make sure to use the split red lentils. Or use veggie crumbles or other vegan meat subs.
Ingredients for this Zucchini Lasagna
- A favorite store bought marinara sauce or herbed pasta sauce or homemade.
- Thinly sliced zucchini
- dried split red lentils for texture and protein. Use cooked lentils if using whole lentils, or use veggie crumbles or other vegan protein additions.
- For the Tofu Ricotta, you need tofu, nutritional yeast, olive oil, lemon juice and zest, almond flour oregano, garlic, basil and spinach.
How to make Zucchini Lasagna with Step Pictures
Make the tofu ricotta in a food processor.
Slice the zucchini and assemble the rest of the ingredients.
Start layering with pasta sauce, red lentils, a layer of zucchini noodles, tofu ricotta, pasta sauce and repeat.
Can I make this Zucchini Lasagna in advance
You can make the tofu ricotta ahead of time. You can assemble the lasagna and freeze(covered nicely to reduce exposed surfac). Freeze for upto 1-2 months. Thaw for an hour then bake when needed
The baked Lasagna can also be frozen for upto a month.
Can I make the lasagna oil-free?
Yes, just omit the olive oil from the tofu ricotta. Saute the pasta sauce in broth.
Can I make this soy-free?
Vegan Gluten free Zucchini Lasagna with Tofu Ricotta
- 28- ounce marinara sauce or herbed pasta sauce or make my recipe linked in the notes
- 3 medium zucchini squash, thinly sliced with a mandolin or knife
- 1/4 cup red lentils , dry Split red lentils, washed and soaked for 5 mins in warm water if needed
- 14- ounce block firm tofu , drained and pressed dry for 10 minutes
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2-3 tbsp lemon juice
- zest of half a lemon optional
- 1/4 cup almond flour or omit for nutfree
- 2 tsp oregano
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh basil
- 4 oz fresh or frozen(thawed) spinach
- Garnish: pepper flakes ,basil, extra virgin olive oil, vegan cheese shreds
- Make the marinara if not using store bought. Press the tofu, Preheat the oven to 400 deg F (205 C). Grease a 9 by 9 inch baking dish.
- Make the Tofu Ricotta: In a food processor, add the tofu through pepper and process until evenly blended.
- Add basil and spinach and pulse a few times to incorporate. Taste and adjust flavor with additional salt or lemon.
- Assemble: Spread 1/4 cup or more marinara in the baking dish. then sprinkle 1 tbsp of the lentils. (Alternatively, mix the soaked and drained red lentils in the marinara sauce, and then ladle the sauce in the pan).
- Add a layer of zucchini. Then add dollops of the tofu ricotta and spread evenly. Then add another layer of the marinara (sprinkle 1 tbsp lentils if you didn't mix them in the sauce). Layer with zucchini again and repeat. You can ad other layers such as roasted veggies/mushrooms or veggie sausage etc as well.
- I usually reserve a bit of ricotta for the top layer and swirl it into the marinara sauce, or use dollops of my vegan mozzarella. Add garnishes such as pepper flakes, olive oil and basil.
- Cover and Bake at 400 deg F for 30 minutes, then uncover and continue to bake for another 20 to 35 mins. (Depends on the thickness of the zucchini and the moisture content of the zucchini and pasta sauce). Check with a toothpick if the zucchini is cooked through and there isn't too much liquid on the edges.
- Let it rest for 15 mins, then slice and serve. Store: Cool and Refrigerate for upto 3 days or freeze for upto a month.