Vegan Keema Naan with Keema Lentils, onion, carrots and walnuts. This lentil mix with the herbs and spices make a vegan version of keema. Serve over Naan bread or Pizza or fill tacos or wraps. Vegan Recipe, Can be gluten-free and soy free. Jump to Recipe
Keema means mince, usually used to refer to meat. Keema as an Indian dish is well spiced, sometimes cooked with a bit of onion tomato or onion sauce, is served as a main with a side of veggies/some curry and some flatbread or rice, or served as a snack. To make a vegan version I use lentils, carrots and walnuts to add the earthy flavor, texture, and spices and sage for flavor. If you add bit of broth and tomatoes to it, the mix would be like thick chili with amazing flavor from the spices/herbse
It doesnt really matter whether this has to stand in for a non vegan keema, because the mix of the ingredients and flavors is so amazingly tasty. Call it whatever you like – Some Fabulous Lentil walnut Mix!. Use the filling as you like, in tacos, wraps, bowls, or just serve with Naan/flatbread and some curry, or as in this post, baked over Naan or Pizza with some vegan mozz. So Good!
These Keema Lentils are Delicious,
full of flavor, protein (22 Gms!( some of it is from the flour, so the base used will change the number),
come together quickly,
and flexible to additions and use.
The combination of baharat and garam masala adds amazing flavor. If you can find baharat, so use it, else make your own from my Book! it takes 5 mins.. If you make these, do let me know how you served them!
More Indian Vegan Mains to try –
- Palak Tofu GF 20 Mins
- Vegan Butter Chikin. GF Instant Pot
- Mushroom Matar Masala GF 1 Pot
- Bombay Potato and Peas GF 1 pot
- Butter Tofu Masala GF Restaurant Style
- Veggie Korma GF no onion garlic version
Vegan Keema Naan with Keema Lentils, Carrots, Walnuts
- 1 tsp oil
- 1/2 (0.5 ) medium onion , chopped see step 1
- 5 cloves of garlic chopped
- 3/4 cup (87.75 g) walnuts chopped
- 1/2 cup (64 g) carrots roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup (36.25 g) peas
- 3/4 to 1 tsp sage
- 3/4 tsp (0.75 tsp) garam masala , (or 1/2 tsp garam masala and 1/4 tsp baharat (from Everyday Kitchen Book) for even more flavor)
- a generous dash each of cinnamon cardamom, nutmeg and black pepper
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) cayenne
- 1.5 cups (297 g) cooked lentils , I use brown lentils
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) salt or to taste divided
- 1 tsp soy sauce use coconut aminos to make without soy
- 1 to 2 tsp ketchup
- 3 tbsp chopped cilantro
- Process the onion and garlic in a food processor until finely chopped. Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add chopped onion and garlic , a good pinch of salt, and cook for 4 minutes or until golden.
- Process walnuts and carrots in the same food processor until a coarse meal. Add to the skillet and cook for 3 mins
- Add peas, cooked lentils, spices, sauces, and mix well and cook for 2 minutes. Add cilantro and a good splash of water and mix in. Cook for another minute if using over pizza (keep the mix wet-ish), and another 2-3 minutes to dry out to used as taco filling. Taste and adjust salt, flavor.
- Spread the lentil mixture over shaped Naan dough or pizza dough or premade naan. Add some thinly sliced veggies like tomato, onion, peppers or jalapeno. If you bake them on a dough (i.e longer time), then do top the the mix with additional veggies as the lentils can tend to dry out.
- Add dollops of vegan mozzarella or other cheese and bake to melt the cheese. 8 to 15 minutes depending on if are using premade naan or unbaked dough.
- Garnish with chopped tomato, onion cilantro and serve. If mozz was omitted, use chutneys or creamy dressing of choice and serve. The lentil keema mix can be made ahead and used in various ways.