Vegan Pepperoni Pasta, A simple weeknight dinner, takes a few steps, but tastes gourmet and packs a flavor punch! This pepperoni pasta is made with homemade vegan pepperoni, fragrant Italian herbs, spinach, and vegan parmesan cheese and takes just 30 minutes. Glutenfree option
I am always on the lookout for a 30-minute-or-less pasta dinner that everyone at the table will be excited about eating. This vegan pepperoni pasta is one of those recipes.
I had a bunch of my from scratch vegan and gluten-free pepperoni to use up from the test batches, and what better way than a quick weeknight meal! The pepperoni is easy and fun and also really cheap to make. Here is the recipe to try it out!
If you don’t have the time to make your own vegan pepperoni, you can use some store-bought Italian vegan sausage or vegan pepperoni for this pasta. And then grab some pasta, spinach and a few other ingredients and we’re ready to make a restaurant-quality comforting pasta dish.
This pasta sauce is layered with flavors and has a nice spicy kick from red pepper flakes. Adding a splash of pasta water to the sauce along with the cooked pasta helps the sauce to thicken and will bring everything together.
Why you will love this pepperoni pasta
- It’s a quick weeknight fix
- its super flavorful with just a few ingredients
- it pleases everyone! All the delicious smoky cheesy flavor!
- It’s allergy friendly. The pepperoni is gluten-free. Use gf pasta if needed
- It’s Nutfree
- the recipe is flexible to your flavor and ingredient preferences
More Vegan Pasta recipes:
- Vegan Pasta e Fagioli
- One Pan Veggie Pasta
- Creamy Mushroom Spinach Pasta
- Vegan Lemon Asparagus Pasta ; 30 mins
- French onion skillet pasta
Vegan Pepperoni Pasta
- 6 ounces (170 g) pasta , use Glutenfree if needed
For the sauce:
- 2 teaspoons vegan butter or olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons onion chopped
- ½ teaspoon crushed fennel seeds
- ½ teaspoon pepper flakes
- 1 cup (200 g) chopped pepperoni I use my gluten-free chickpea flour pepperoni, or use store bought vegan pepperoni or sausage
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- Zest of ½ lemon
- ½ cup (120 ml) pasta water
- ½ cup frozen spinach thawed
- 1/3 cup vegan parmesan ,divided
- ½ teaspoon dried basil or 2 tablespoons fresh basil to add later
- Optional add some toasted pine nuts for garnish
- Cook your pasta according to instructions on the package if you haven’t already. Rinse in cold water and set aside
- Make the sauce: Heat butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Once the butter is hot and melted add the garlic, onion, fennel seeds, pepper flakes and pepperoni and toss well.
- Cook over medium heat until the onion, garlic and pepperoni are golden. Stir occasionally
- Then add in the tomato paste, zest, spinach and ¼ teaspoon salt and mix in. Add in pasta water and half the vegan parmesan and mix in. Now bring to a boil. Add basil and the pasta and toss well then switch off heat.
- Taste and adjust salt and flavor and then top it with the rest of the vegan parmesan and pine nuts if using. Cover and let it sit for another 2-3 minutes for the parmesan to kind of soften a little, then serve immediately.
- To take this to the next level, add some toasted pine nuts for garnish
- Add a splash of vegan red wine after you sautee the onion with the pepperoni for added umami
- Glutenfree: Use Glutenfree pasta and gluten-free pepperoni.
- pasta – use your favorite kind, gluten-free if you want
- vegan butter makes this sauce taste rich – use your favorite brand
- This delicious pasta sauce starts with sauteed garlic and onion
- fennel seeds go so well with any tomato-based pasta sauce
- pepper flakes for some heat – add as much as you like
- chopped pepperoni, I use my gf chickpea flour pepperoni but you can use a store-bought kind
- tomato paste adds umami and tomato flavor
- lemon brightens up the flavor profile
- spinach adds some color – use fresh or frozen and thawed
- vegan parmesan is a great addition and, when combined with some hot pasta water, helps bind the sauce to creamy prefection
- dried basil or fresh basil for that authentic Italian taste
- to take this to the next level, add some toasted pine nuts for garnish
- If you want, add a splash of vegan red wine after you sautee the onion with the pepperoni
- use any shape of pasta you like – fusilli, penne, farfalle, rotini
How to make Vegan Pepperoni Pasta:
Cook your pasta according to instructions if you haven’t already. Rinse in cold water and set aside
Make the sauce, heat butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Once the butter is hot and melted add the garlic, onion, fennel seeds, pepper flakes, and pepperoni and toss well.
Cook over medium heat until the onion, garlic and pepperoni are golden.
Then add in the tomato paste, zest, spinach, and ¼ teaspoon salt and mix in.
Pour in some of the pasta water and half tbe vegan parmesan and mix in, then bring to a boil.
Add basil and the pasta and toss well then take off the heat.
Taste and adjust salt and flavor and then top it with the rest of the vegan parmesan and pine nuts if using. Cover and let it sit for 2-3 minutes for the parmesan to kind of soften a little, then serve immediately.
Store refrigerated for upto 3 days. Add some broth while reheating