Vegan Taco Salad Bowl with Carrot Walnut Taco “Meat”. Vegan Taco filling. Meatless Taco Salad. Make a wrap or tacos or burrito. Vegan Gluten-free Recipe. Add some cooked beans or lentils for variation.
One More Bowl Meal to round off January! This Bowl is easy to put together and brings in all the favorite flavors that I love when thinking of a bright and light meal or snack. Anything Taco really is exciting to me lately.
The taco “meat” is a mix of carrots and walnuts and spices, herbs, sauces to flavor. I love this light but very flavorful mix in a meal. Paired with roasted peppers and veggies, greens, salsa, guacamole, jalapeno and other toppings of choice make this a filling and satiating bowl. This bowl is also great when you need a break from the beans, if you know what I mean :). You can of course add some black or pinto beans, or shredded seitan/chickin subs in. Or mix in some cooked red or brown lentils towards the end (add more spices + sauces to adjust for added volume). Make a bowl, wraps, tacos or other formats! Add some cilantro lime rice or spanish rice. I’ve been making variations of the mix to make tacos, taquitos and nachos. Many many options.
More Bowls from the blog
- Chili garlic Tofu Bowl with noodles and chard
- Peanut Butter Roasted Cauliflower Bowl. GF
- Quinoa Cauliflower Bowl with almond Sriracha sauce GF
- Sprouted Lentil Bowl with Cajun Spied Sweet Potatoes GF
- Turmeric Cauliflower Rice Bowl with Moroccan spice chickpeas. GF
Added some lentils to the mix for taco night.
- Chile Lime Pinto Bean Fajita Tacos. This marinade is so good!
- Chipotle Garlic Jackfruit Tacos – Easy Instroduction to Jackfruit
- Pulled Butternut Squash Tacos. Vegan Glutenfree Recipe
- Jackfruit Meatballs Tacos
- Jamaican Jerk Black Bean Tacos with Corn Salsa – This seasoning is great with any beans
If you make this delightful taco mixture or bowl, do let me know in the comments on the post or social media! And do rate the recipe.
Vegan Taco Salad Bowl with Carrot Walnut Taco "Meat"
- 1 small onion chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic minced
- 2 cups (256 g) shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup (74.5 g) bell peppers or other finely chopped vegetables optional
- 3 oz tomato paste
- 2 tbsp or more vegan worchestershire sauce , 3 tsp soy sauce (coconut aminos for soyfree), 1 tsp apple cider vinegar, 1/2 tsp molasses
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) or more salt
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) chipotle pepper powder , less for less heat
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) black pepper
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) ancho chili powder or cayenne optional
- a generous pinch of cloves or all spice for additional flavor
- juice of 1 lime, , 2- 3 tbsp
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) or more sugar
- 3/4 cup (87.75 g) walnuts
- 2 bell peppers
- chopped lettuce or greens
- pico de gallo or salsa of choice
- avocado cubed
- salt pepper lime juice to dress
- Prep: Chop the onion and garlic in a food processor or by hand and set aside. Process the carrots and bell peppers in the same food processor until shredded or use a grater for the carrots and chop the bell peppers then set aside. Process the walnuts in the same processor and set aside.
- Heat oil in a saucepan or skiller over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and a pinch of salt. Cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add peppers and carrots and a good pinch of salt and cook for 5 minutes. Stir occasionally. Add the tomato paste, sauce, salt and spices and lime juice and mix well.
- Cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Add in the walnuts and mix well. Taste and adjust salt, heat, flavor, adding more as needed. add smoked paprika for smokier, lime juice for tang. Check if the carrots are somewhat done.
- Cook for another 2 minutes then let it sit for a few minutes before serving. Meanwhile grill the peppers or cook them over medium high in a skillet with a tsp of oil, until golden brown on the edges.
- Assemble the bowl with chopped greens, roasted bell pepper, pico de gallo, a generous helping of the taco mix, avocado. Sprinkle salt, pepper and lime juice and serve(so good!). Add other toppings like vegan sour cream, fresh or pickled jalapeno etc. Make tacos or a burrito for variation with additional toppings, beans, spanish rice etc.
I loved this recipe except 3oz tomato paste was too much for me. I have an aversion to tomato paste & wish I trusted my intuition to start with less. I still rate this 5 stars because I know without the paste, I’d enjoy it much more & it’s just a personal taste. The spices combination was perfect & allowed room to add more or less heat depending on preference. Can’t wait to try again with my minor adjustment !
Vegan Richa Support
thank you for the rating, Kit =). hope that it works it better next time with the tomato paste
Does this freeze well?
Vegan Richa Support
yes, any excess moisture from thawing will disappear when you reheat in a pan.
Made this as written- absolutely delicious! We are thrilled to now have such an excellent taco filling- your recipes rock!
Vegan Richa Support
tacos rock too !!
Made the carrot walnut dish tonight as a taco filling. It was so well spiced, and it was a super after work + work-out weeknight meal. I will make it again and perhaps serve with a side of black beans.
Vegan Richa Support
thank you! happy to help you refuel post exercise
Delicious 😋 Thank you very much. I love your recipes
Vegan Richa Support
THANK you kindly =)
Is there an alternative to tomato paste? I will try this as a new year recipe.
do you have tomato sauce, the canned one?
Unfortunately no. My husband gets heartburn with canned food so we don’t use it. I have a bottled pasta sauce. Would that be good? If so what proportion would you suggest.
Happy new year to you and your family. Thank you for your recipes. I’m introducing my sister to a vegan lifestyle and she loved your mushroom risotto.
Yes that should be good. use 6 oz and reduce it a bit separately and then add.
Loved it. Thanks.
Just made this! It was the perfect meal for a hot summer day. And the flavour…what an absolute treat! I honestly cannot express how much I enjoyed this recipe. Next time I make I think I may add some extra toppings (guacamole, cashew sour cream), but it was still insanely delicious without. Thanks for another grt recipe!
I made this and just love it. The walnuts give it a good texture. I have eaten it in a wrap and on a salad, its good both ways.
What a great taco salad. I like the seasonings you used in your recipe as well as the walnuts. Excellent recipe!
We have nut allergies in our house. Could I substitute something else for the walnut? Thanks
You can use some ground up sunflower seeds + lentils to make up the walnut portion
This is fabulous! Served tonight as a taco salad and everyone was delighted.
Thank you for another great recipe. Made this last night for soft tacos. Everyone loved it!
I forgot to mention that I added cooked red lentils for added protein.
Chef Hitesh Jain
this is super yummy, and can be grab during anytime of day
Made this for dinner tonight as tostadas with mushrooms and zucchini. Excellent! Might up the protein amount by adding some chopped homemade seitan in the next batch. Otherwise great taste, love the creativity of your recipes.
Awesome!! Yes these are a light meal for the day after super heavy meals 🙂
This sugar free dairy free and fluten free foods recipies are hard to find. Thanks richa, for this one will surely try.
This taco mix is so good! Most savory meals that are vegan and gluten-free are generally also sugar free. Indian meals(dals, sambhar, veggie sides cook in oil instead of ghee) generally work too when served with rice or other cooked grains.
Cassie Thuvan Tran
This taco salad bowl looks wonderful! The carrot walnut taco meat is such a clever recipe <3 thank you for sharing the Worcester sauce recipe too!
Looks and sounds so good!
Can I substitute molasses with something else?
dark brown sugar
Richa, this looks delicious! I am about 2 weeks behind on your recipes . How do you do it????? You are amazing!
I have some recipes sitting in drafts that i have to find time to edit and post.I keep making new stuff in bursts some weeks and dont make anything new for some weeks. 🙂 I also have to keep the blog refreshed for google ranking purposes, so i try to distribute it out. Its interesting to note the kind of recipes everyone likes, like the fettuccine with almond feta was a big hit in my house, not so much on the blog, which I am not sure why. That and this taco meat have been made a couple of times this month!
I try not to eat a lot of pasta, but I plan to make that taco bowl this week. And I know I will make this at some point too. 🙂
This will make an excellent lunch.