This is the gf bread you will want to make! And as I mentioned before, Keep that Steam in the picture someway or the other to get a absolutely moist and fresh bread! My current diet preference is because of ethical and health reasons. But there are several who dont have a choice to choose what they eat. Be it any kind of limitation, health, financial or other. Whichever the case, I’d like to think that it is not about giving something up, it is about replacing it with something slightly different, maybe even better. We didnt “give up” dairy, just replaced it with something much more nutritious!
The same thought of not missing out on anything(something I picked up from the ever vivacious Cara), keeps me motivated to try these gf yeast breads. If one day, I couldn’t eat gluten, would I eat this bread? hell yes!
Gluten Free Vegan White Bread Loaf
- 6 Tbsp oats ground (1/4 cup +2Tbsp)(All flours starches are Bob's red mill)
- 1/4 cup (39.5 g) brown rice flour
- 1/4 cup (40 g) potato starch
- 1 Tbsp tapioca starch
- 1/4 cup (62.5 ml) warm water
- 1 teaspoon active yeast
- 2 tsp raw sugar
- 1 tsp agave syrup
- 1.5 Tbsp non dairy yogurt So Delicious plain coconut milk yogurt or make your own cultured Nut Milk -Cashew Yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) salt
- 2 teaspoons oil
After first rise:
- 1-1.5 Tablespoon (1 Tablespoon) potato starch or half potato starch and half ground oats
- Warm the water and add yeast and 1 teaspoon sugar to it. Mix well and let it get frothy. 8-10 minutes.
- In a bowl, whisk all the dry ingredients well.
- In another bowl, lightly whisk the oil, yogurt, agave and sugar until well combined.
- Add the dry ingredients and the yogurt mix to the yeast mix and whisk to combine well. The dough will be more of a stiff batter.
- Let it rise for 1.5 hours or until doubled.
- The oats will make the dough less battery after the first rise, but it will still be sticky.
- Add some potato starch to make it less sticky and dump the sticky dough into parchment lined mini bread loaf pan. Even out using a spatula.
- If you want to make dinner rolls, use just enough potato starch and oats flour and use oiled hands to quickly make small balls(a few Tbspns). Place balls touching each other in parchment lined stoneware for baking or round cake baking pan if steaming. See GF Dinner rolls
- Spray top with water, and then with oil or dust with Oat flour.
- Prepare steaming pan, warm the water, switch off and place the bread pan in the steamer. Cover and let rise until doubled. (20-35 minutes)
- Start up the steamer and steam for 20 minutes or atleast half the total bake time.
- Meanwhile preheat the oven to 395 degrees F. Take the pan out of the steamer after 20 minutes and immediately place in oven.
- Bake at 395 for 12-17 minutes to just about brown the edges. Dont over brown it. steamed breads will not brown easily and then directly become too crusty.
- Let bread cool outside the pan for 15 minutes before slicing.