A quick lentil stew/soup with yellow lentils and some veggies.Jump to Recipe
Yellow lentil Dal Stew/soup with Carrots and Zucchini/Brussels sprouts (Mung Daal)
- 1/2 cup (96 g) yellow mung lentils or pink lentils split skinless mung bean or red lentil, washed and soaked for atleast half an hour
- 1.5 -2 cups (125 ml) water 1.5 for thicker consistency
- 1/3 teaspoon (0.33 teaspoon) salt
- 1/4 cup (32 g) chopped carrots
- 1/4 cup (31 g) chopped or grated zucchini or 1/4 cup chopped Brussels sprouts
- 2 teaspoons organic canola oil or any organic oil with high smoke point
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) mustard seeds Raee
- 1/4 teaspoon (0.25 teaspoon) fennel seeds Saunf
- 5-6 (5 ) curry leaves
- a generous pinch of asafoetida hing
- 1 green chili chopped or to taste or red chili flakes
- 3 medium garlic cloves chopped or minced
- 1/4 teaspoon (0.25 teaspoon) turmeric powder
- 1 medium tomato chopped
- In a deep pan or pressure cooker, add oil and heat on medium
- Add mustard seeds an wait for them to sputter.
- Add the asafoetida, fennel seeds and curry leaves and mix. Cook for half a minute
- Add the chilli and garlic and cook for 5-7 minutes stirring frequently till the garlic browns up evenly.
- Add in the carrots and Zucchini or Brussels Sprouts or both. You can add some other veggies per preference. Cook for a minute.
- Add the tomato, turmeric and cook for 2-3 minutes until tomatoes get mushy,
- Drain the lentils and add them to the pan, add salt, and water and mix well.
- Pressure cook for 1 whistle (5 minutes on high pressure after pressure indicator turns on) or cook covered on low for 20-30 minutes until the lentils are tender and mushy.
- Serve hot topped with chopped cilantro leaves or red chili flakes, with Roti/Naan Indian flat bread, Rice, dry veggie subzis or as a soup with garlic bread.
- To refresh the daal the next day, in a small pan, add a teaspoon of oil, heat on medium, add 1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds, 3-4 curry leaves and chili flakes. Wait for the mustard seeds to sputter. Pour this over the heated Daal and serve.