Yay for Poofy white dinner rolls! A must side with every warm meal.. The same dough can be used to make burger buns, naan, pita too. Or shape them into longer french petit pain. I made them a bit bigger to use as burger buns. Yielded 8 large buns. can make 12-16 smaller dinner rolls.
I've been baking a lot of whole grain breads lately. I got a request for some white dinner rolls from a reader. Hi Misty! and of course hubbs gets a white puff craving once in a while too.
Some other multigrain buns posted earlier. Carrot cake cranberry sticky rolls, White buns with some Whole grain. , Strawberry Cauliflower Cranberry buns The multigrain breads and buns are all full of whole grain and are still soft but not totally white and fluffy.
These puffy white rolls can be squished like a soft pillow. Serve them warm topped with some vegan butter or some chive cheese dip! Holidays are right around the corner.. and some warm dinner rolls fresh out of the oven are always needed!
These buns were used in the super fun Tempeh Chickpea Burger pictured below. Pictures are from 2 batches of dinner rolls. One completely white and another one with about 1/2 cup of whole wheat flour. The squishyness was pretty much the same.
Ingredients:8-12 buns depending on size
- Add the yeast and sugar to 1/4 cup warm water and mix well. Let stand for 10 minutes or until frothy.
- In a bowl add 2.5 cups flour, salt, wheat gluten, baking powder and mix.
- Add in the yeast mixture, softened butter, olive oil, yogurt and give it a mix. Add 1/4 cup water, at a time to get a soft clump.
- Knead the dough for 6-8 minutes by hand or in mixer, scraping sides every 2 minutes if using a stand mixer. Add more bread flour or water in little quantities if needed and form and soft non sticky ball.
- Spritz the top of dough with some oil spray. Place dough in a greased covered container in a warm place for 2 hours. (rise time depends on the ambient temperature, keep for 1.5 hours if warm 70+ degree F climate)
- Punch the dough lightly. Use a little flour to work the stickyness. Knead and shape by rolling it out into a rectangle and rolling the rectangle from one side and tucking the other edge under like a jelly roll. Slice the jelly roll into equal parts, roll into a ball( or pull and tuck under) and place on baking sheet 2 inches apart. Or shape any other way, like a wedge roll or knots. Keep each ball size half of what size you want your each roll. You can also roll them out into flat breads and cook on a thick bottom super hot pan/girdle.
- Spritz the top with water and then spritz oil spray, and cover with a towel.
- Place it in a warm place or warm oven for 45-50 minutes or until Doubled and when pressed, the dough does not bounce back immediately.
- Remove towel, spritz top with some water. Top with sesame or poppy seeds(optional). and bake at preheated 370 degrees F for 18-25 minutes or until the bread sounds hollow and is golden. Time depends on the size and shape of the rolls.
- Remove buns from sheet and let cool on rack for atleast 15 minutes. Brush some melted vegan butter on top for extra sheen while cooling.
- Pull the buns/rolls apart and dunk super soft dinner rolls in a warm fall soup or herbed olive oil! Try variations with herbs, make them sweeter or savory!