Yeah I know. Them bars look like they have a face Just some blueberries in there.
These days I make my own yogurt and usually have a good bowl full of almond-cashew or coconut yogurts at home (several ways to make some fresh yogurt at home will be in my upcoming book!). They work beautifully in the snack smoothies on a warm day. Wait, did I say warm? I am sorry. The Pacific northwest is still in Spring, read 50s and 60s. I cannot wait for it to be sunny every day. I might be posting frozen fruit popsicles all through the summer.
Anywho, These are easiest frozen dessert. Make the cookie dough crust. Lightly cook the strawberries and blueberries, mix in the the yogurt and cashew cream. Add in fresh blueberries. Add to the crust pan and freeze! done. Cultured non dairy milk (yogurt) is an awesome source of good bacteria which are great for the digestive tract, so make some Lassis or these frozen treats.
I added a whole lot of vanilla. Add cinnamon or other flavors of choice. single eye aliens below.
Frozen pan of berries and yogurt.
Slice and serve.
Blueberry Strawberry Yogurt Bars
By Richa Hingle
Allergen Information: Free of dairy, egg, corn, soy, yeast, gluten.
Makes 8 1.5-2 inch bars. or 1 bread pan ( 9 by 5 inch)
Berries are simmered with sugar to make a somewhat jam consistency, which is swirled with non dairy yogurt and frozen with a cookie dough crust.
For Cookie dough crust:
- 1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp almond flour
- 1/2 cup oat flour
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup ground raw sugar
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- a generous pinch of salt
- 1 Tbsp melted coconut oil
- 1 Tbsp non dairy yogurt or cashew cream
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
For Yogurt topping:
- 1 loaded cup strawberries
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1/4 cup raw sugar
- 1 cup non dairy coconut milk yogurt or other non dairy yogurt
- 1/4 cup thick cashew cream or coconut cream
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Make the crust: Mix the almond flour, oat flour, ground sugar, cinnamon, salt. Add the oil and mix to make crumbs. Add yogurt, vanilla and mix so the mixture becomes a dough. Add more oat flour if too wet. Press into parchment lined pan.
- Make the yogurt berry filling: Blend the strawberries and 2/3 cup blueberries and sugar into a smooth puree. Add to a pan and cook on medium heat until bubbly. 6 to 7 mins. Let cool for a few minutes. Add coconut oil and vanilla extract and mix in. Then fold in the yogurt, cashew cream and 1/3 cup fresh blueberries. do not mix too much so you have a few berry and yogurt swirls. Pour into the pan. Cover and freeze for a few hours until set. Slice and serve.
- For variations: double the crust and make sandwich bars. Or make them into popsicles!
Prep Time:00 hrs. 20 mins. Total time: 20 mins.
Tags: vegan, dessert, gluten free, no bake, frozen