I know right. I am currently going through a Cookie dough phase. the other day, I was hit with the cookie dough craving again and I wondered if I could do something about all the flour and nuts in it and also the reduce the oil and amp up te cookie dough to something more. Enter lentils! Lentils and chickpeas can pretty much do everything. I also added a brownie layer to the bars, you can as well make the brownie layer into cookie dough too. Make a lot of cookie dough balls and freeze them till you need them, if any are left that is. So lets add some protein (lentils!) to these fudge bars.
There are cooked lentils, hemp seeds, a bit of oat and coconut flour for added volume in this recipe. Sub the oat flour with coconut flour to make the recipe grain-free. I use raw unrefined sugar in the recipe. The dry sugar is not adding any volume to this so you can use any sweetener of choice like stevia, dates, coconut sugar etc. A liquid sweetener might not work as well as there is already enough moisture from the lentils.
I know they sound unusual. Give them a go! If you don’t like them much, no fear, just blend them up into milkshakes or cookie dough blizzards!
Make these awesome Vegan Cookie Dough Brownies! Lentils = Protein!
More goodies from the blog.
The original Chocolate chip Cookie dough with oat and almond flour or use any flour. No Bake. You can use this to make these bars as well. Make a double batch, add cocoa powder to one batch, layer, chill and slice.
Cookie dough blizzard milkshake – No Bake
- ½ cup red lentils (masoor dal)
- 1 cup water
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- ⅛ tsp salt
- ⅓ cup hemp seeds
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- ¾ cup ground raw sugar or other sweetener
- ¼ cup oat flour divided (or use coconut flour to make grain free)
- ¼ cup plus 1 Tbsp Coconut Flour
- ¼ cup + 2 Tbsp mini vegan chocolate chips
- 2 Tbsp cocoa powder
- In a pan, add washed lentils and water. Partially cover and cook for 13 to 14 minutes on medium heat or until very tender. Drain if needed. Cool to room temperature and add to blender.
- Add hemp seeds to the blender and blend. Blend 2 or more cycles to smoothly blend the hemp seeds and lentils.
- Add salt, vanilla extract, sugar, coconut oil and blend to combine. Divide the blended mixture into 2 bowls.
- In one bowl, add 2 Tbsp oat flour, 2.5 Tbsp coconut flour and mix well. Add ¼ cup chocolate chips and mix. Taste add more sweet if needed. This is the cookie dough.
- In other bowl, add 2 Tbsp oat flour, 2.5 Tbsp coconut flour, cocoa powder and mix well. Add 2 Tbsp chocolate chips and mix in. Taste and add sweet if needed. This is the brownie.
- *Coconut flour thickens up the dough, so add less or more depending on the moisture content. During mixing, you will know after a minute if the dough needs more or not.
- Press brownie layer into parchment lined pan. Press cookie dough on top. Chill for an hour or freeze for half an hour. Slice and serve. Keep refrigerated for upto 4 days, frozen for longer.
*Coconut Flour is not desiccated coconut. It is ground from dried defatted coconut. It absorbs liquid like a sponge and does not feel oily or flaky.
*Use quick cooking red or pink lentils here, not brown or whole red(Indian brown) lentils.
*Use finely ground nuts instead of hemp seeds for variation
*This makes half a 8 by 8 inch brownie pan.
* Red Lentils can also be found online like these Bob’s Red Mill Red Lentils. They make amazing soups/dals.
* Vegan Chocolate chips options Enjoy Life Semi-Sweet Mini Chips or chop up Theo Classic Organic (70% Cacao) Dark Chocolate bars
These bars are being shared at VVP