Hello Summer! And Say hello to BBQ season. Bring out a load of BBQ sauce and pour it on everything.:) or add to the patty itself. These patties have red/pink lentils which cook really quickly. The lentils are cooked with bbq sauce and there is more sauce added to the veggie lentil mixture too. And a load of grated or chopped veggies, which get roasted and added to the mixture. Don’t know what to do with that Broccoli Stem? Add it to this veggie burger. Add any tender veggie or greens stems chopped small. Add some chopped mushrooms.. The Possibilities are endless.
I used my Rye almond buns with these burgers which were a somewhat medium size. Hence the burger looks taller. It is about 3 inches tall and squish-able to thinner. You can use any other burger buns and make the patties according to size. Other burger bun options Multigrain rolls here. or make these pillowy white dinner rolls. Some gluten free breads and buns here.
Close up side view ….:)
Bun, Lettuce, bbq sauce, red onion, Veggie patty, mini peppers, Mango slaw, Cilantro, bun.
More awesome tried and tested Burgers Sandwiches here.
The Burger Patties can be made Glutenfree with gf breadcrumbs, oat flour or more chickpea flour. The burger patties are baked, nut-free, refined oil free. Serve these with a side mango slaw and bbq sauce to dip and you have one delicious wholesome meal. The mango slaw is just so perfect with this veggie burger. Whats your favorite veggie patty?:)
The burgers can be easily made into Wraps or Tacos. Make small long nuggets instead of patties and bake. Top with slaw and bbq sauce.
You can make your own Barbeque sauce(Here is my home-made BBQ sauce) or use a favorite.
The recipe can be easily doubled. Add double the veggies as the cooked lentils.
To freeze, shape patties, press in bread crumbs and place between parchment.
Thaw and bake.
To refresh the patties, put them on the grill for some grill marks and serve. or pan fry for a minute or so each side, in a little oil for a crunchy crust. Delish!
The baked ones below also look like a fried crunchy patty already 🙂
Prep the slaw and keep ready.
Wash and cook the red/pink lentils.
Makes about a cup of lentils. You can use other lentils/beans. Use a cup of well cooked brown lentils or chickpeas. Chickpeas will need less bread crumbs to help bind the patties.
Grate cauliflower, ginger, garlic, carrot.
Chop other veggies small. Dry roast on medium heat for 3-5 minutes.
Add veggies to cooked lentil. Add spices.
Add bbq sauce, Mix well, taste and adjust spice and salt.
Add flaxmeal, sesame seeds, chickpea flour and then bread crumbs as needed to make burger patties.
Bake the patties at 400 degrees F for 20-25 minutes.
Assemble the burger. Layer lettuce/greens, bbq sauce, red onion slices and burger patty.
Top with mini peppers(they hold that slaw in place), then slaw.
BBQ Lentil Veggie Burger with Mango Carrot Slaw. Vegan Recipe
- Ripe Mango
- Vegenaise or Cashew cream
Lentils and Veggies for patties:
- 1/2 cup (90 g) red/pink/orange lentils
- 1 cup (250 ml) water
- a generous pinch of garlic powder and salt
- 1 Tablespoon (1 Tablespoon) bbq sauce
- 1 cup (107 g) grated Cauliflower loaded
- 3-4 (3 ) baby carrots
- 2 cloves (2 cloves) of garlic
- 1/2 inch (0.5 inch) knob of ginger
- 1 (1 ) green chili or chili flakes to taste
- 2-3 inch (2 inch) Broccoli stem chopped very small or grated
- 3-4 Tablespoons (3 Tablespoons) chopped red or orange bell pepper
- 1 Tablespoon (1 Tablespoon) Smokey maple BBQ sauce use my homemade BBQ sauce to make soy-free
- 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon (1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon) Chipotle pepper powder
- 1 teaspoon (1 teaspoon) onion flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon (0.25 teaspoon) cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) salt
- 1 Tablespoon (1 Tablespoon) flaxmeal
- 1 Tablespoon (1 Tablespoon) sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup (30 g) chickpea flour or oat or other flour
- 2-4 Tablespoons (2 - 4 Tablespoons) breadcrumbs
- Sliced Red onion or Pickled Onion
- Sliced mini peppers
- Burger buns. I used my Rye almond buns in the pictures. Serve over salad or use my gluten-free buns
- Grate/thinly slice mango, carrot and cabbage.
- Add Vegenaise and mix. Or add cashew cream, and a generous pinch of salt, vinegar, sugar, black pepper.
- Mix well, Taste and adjust, and keep ready.
- Wash the red/pink lentils and add to pan with water, garlic, salt and bbq sauce.
- Cover and cook until tender. (10-15 minutes)
- Grate cauliflower, ginger, garlic, carrot.
- Chop the other veggies, broccoli stems finely.
- Add to a wide pan and dry roast them for 3-5 minutes.
- Add veggies, flaxmeal, sesame seeds, to cooked lentils. Add spices and bbq sauce.
- Mix well, taste and adjust salt, spice, bbq sauce.
- Add chickpea flour and then bread crumbs as needed to make burger patties.
- Use coarsely ground Oats or more chickpea flour for Gluten-free patties.
- Bake the patties at 400 degrees F / 200ºc for 20-25 minutes.
- Once baked, these patties can be grilled quickly for grill marks.
- Freezing instruction in the post above.
Assemble the burger:
- Layer lettuce/greens, bbq sauce, red onion slices/pickled onion and burger patty.
- Top with thinly sliced mini peppers, mango slaw, chopped cilantro(optional) and bun.
- Slather more bbq sauce on the patty itself and then top it with slaw.
- Or chop up and make a wrap or tacos or salad.
Add a Tablespoon of Extra virgin olive oil to the patties.
Add 1-2 teaspoon Sriracha to the patty mixture for a spicier patty. Nutritional values based on one serving