This Sponge Cake is whole grain, soft, moist and easy. Add vanilla or zest of choice. Makes amazing layer cakes. Makes two skinny 8 inch pans. Free of Dairy, egg, yeast, nut. Can be made corn-free.
Easy whole Grain Vanilla Sponge Cake. use frosting of choice to make a layer Cake. I used the cake to make these vegan Tiramisu Trifles .
More Cakes from the blog
- Vegan Yellow Cake
- Spiced Apple Cake
- Vanilla Spelt sponge Cake
- Chocolate Torte
- Vanilla Pound Cake – soy-free
- Fruit and Nut Christmas Cake
- Cream Cheese Pound Cake
- 1 cup Spelt flour
- 1/2 cup oat flour
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch or arrowroot starch
- 1.5 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 Tablespoons flaxmeal or chia seed meal
- 1/3 cup warm water
- 3/4 cup ground raw sugar 2 Tbsp more for sweeter
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 1/2 cup coconut milk or almond milk
- 2 tsp vinegar I use apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
Preheat the oven to 365 deg F / 180ºc.
- In a bowl, whisk all dry ingredients and keep aside.
- In another bowl, mix flaxmeal with warm water and let sit for 2 minutes. Add the rest of the ingredients under wet, mix until the sugar is combined well.
- Transfer dry to wet. Mix to just about combine. Pour the batter into greased and floured 8 inch cake pans or parchment lined pans.
- Bake for 35 to 40 mins or until a toothpick from the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes, then remove the cake from the pan. Cool completely before cutting into desired size for the trifle.
Nutritional values based on one 8" tin (of two)