Easy whole Grain Vanilla Sponge Cake. use frosting of choice to make a layer Cake. I used the cake to make these vegan Tiramisu Trifles .
More Cakes from the blog
- Vegan Yellow Cake
- Spiced Apple Cake
- Vanilla Spelt sponge Cake
- Chocolate Torte
- Vanilla Pound Cake – soy-free
- Fruit and Nut Christmas Cake
- Cream Cheese Pound Cake
- 1 cup Spelt flour
- 1/2 cup oat flour
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch or arrowroot starch
- 1.5 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 Tablespoons flaxmeal or chia seed meal
- 1/3 cup warm water
- 3/4 cup ground raw sugar 2 Tbsp more for sweeter
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 1/2 cup coconut milk or almond milk
- 2 tsp vinegar I use apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
Preheat the oven to 365 deg F.
In a bowl, whisk all dry ingredients and keep aside.
In another bowl, mix flaxmeal with warm water and let sit for 2 minutes. Add the rest of the ingredients under wet, mix until the sugar is combined well.
Transfer dry to wet. Mix to just about combine. Pour the batter into greased and floured 8 inch cake pans or parchment lined pans.
Bake for 35 to 40 mins or until a toothpick from the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes, then remove the cake from the pan. Cool completely before cutting into desired size for the trifle.
Nutritional values based on one 8" tin (of two)