Curried Sweet Potato Lentil Salad. Simple Indian spices, roasted sweet potato, earthy lentils, lime juice and a refreshing lunch bowl. Vegan Gluten-free Soy-free Nut-free Recipe. Can be made oil-free.
Lentils and sweet potato work beautifully together. Whether you want a Soup. a taco filling, Roasted whole Sweet Potatoes filled with Lentils, or a flavorful Spinach Sweet Potato Curry (use lentils instead of chickpeas).
Today’s recipe combines them again in this easy salad bowl. Sweet potatoes are roasted with garam masala/curry powder and cinnamon. Lentils are tossed with onions, tomato, cilantro, mustard oil or mustard and some garam masala and lime juice. Combine the 2 or serve in layers. Serve as a salad bowl with crackers or toasted pita. Use to fill up tacos or make quesadillas. How do you like your earthy brown lentils?
This gorgeous Spiced Sweet Potato lentil salad. Just the lentils are amazing as is! Add to any bowl or tacos or wraps. Use spices of choice. More cilantro the merrier!
Curried Sweet Potato Lentil Salad
- 1 large or 2 small sweet potatoes
- 2 tsp oil
- 1/3 tsp (0.33 tsp) or more salt
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) garam masala or use curry powder of choice
- 1/3 tsp (0.33 tsp) cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) turmeric
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) or more cayenne
- 1.5 cups (297 g) cooked lentils
- 1/2 (0.5 ) medium red onion finely chopped
- 1 hot green chile finely chopped
- 2 (2 ) tomatoes chopped
- salt to taste
- 1/3 tsp (0.33 tsp) garam masala
- black pepper and cayenne to taste
- 1 tsp mustard oil or use 1 tsp olive oil and ground mustard, or prepared mustard
- 1 to 2 tsp lime juice to taste
- 3/4 cup (12 g) packed chopped cilantro or use a combination of spinach and cilantro
- Peel and chop the sweet potatoes into small cubes. Toss in oil, salt and spices until well coated. Spread on parchment lined baking sheet and bake at 425 degrees F / 220ºc for 15 to 20 minutes or until tender. Use chopped butternut or pumpkin or other squash for variation.
- Cook 3/4 cup dried lentils to preference, 40+ minutes in a saucepan or pressure cooker for 7 to 10 mins. Or drain and wash canned lentils and add to a bowl. (One 15 oz can will give about 1.5 cups lentils).
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well. Taste and adjust salt, flavor and heat.
- Assemble the bowls with a generous helping of the lentils and sweet potatoes. Add a dash of lime juice and a good dash of black pepper. Serve as a salad bowl with crackers or toasted pita
- The lentils and potatoes can be mixed together or served layered. This lentil sweet potato salad also makes great wraps or tacos. Fill up tacos and top with guacamole or tahini garlic sauce. or make quesadillas with the lentils, sweet potatoes and vegan cheese of choice.
Roast the Sweet potato on a BBQ or grill. Slice into 1/4 inch thick slices and roast 3 minutes per side. Nutritional values based on one serving