Easy Tortilla Soup with Red lentils. 1 Pot 30 Minutes! Make it in a saucepan or Instant Pot. Add veggies of choice, garnish with tortilla chips or avocado. Vegan Gluten-free Soyfree Nut-free Recipe.
This easy 1 pot tortilla soup has red lentils, peppers, tomato, veggies that you want and a few spices. Put everything in a saucepan and simmer until done. I like red lentils in this soup as they cook quicker and make for a lighter dinner. Beans can be an issue for some for dinner, and this works out perfectly. You can also add in some uncooked washed quinoa while simmering. Add veggies of choice and serve with garnishes of choice.
Few ingredients, 1 pot, filling and quick. whats your favorite addition to tortilla soups?
More 1 Pot filling Soups
- Broccoli Slaw Soup,
- Turkish lentil soup,
- Turmeric Laksa Curry Soup with fresh turmeric root,
- 15 min Indian Spiced tomato Soup,
- Mushroom chickpea greens soup.
If you make this simple soup, do tag me on Instagram!
There are so many different lentils and names for them. Red Lentils come in various varieties. Red whole and unskinned lentils look brown and are called Indian brown or brown lentils, which take about 30 minutes to cook in a saucepan. When skinned, they are whole red lentils, called red lentils(!), take about 18 to 22 minutes. These are not as easily available. When skinned and split, they are called red lentils or masoor dal, which are quick cooking (11 to 13 mins) and are easily available. However, on the interwebs and shops, the split and whole red lentils are used interchangeably. What term would you prefer to use? I might add “split red lentils” to the recipes so you use the right lentils, but there are 100s of recipes on the blog that use red lentils by which I mean the split ones.
- 1 tsp oil
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 3 to 4 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 jalapeno minced (optional)
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp oregano and thyme
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp cayenne or chipotle pepper powder or both
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 cup red lentils quick cooking lentils - masoor dal, washed and drained
- 2 cups water or broth
- 2 large tomatoes finely chopped, or 1.5 cup crushed tomatoes from a can
- 1 to 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 to 1 cup water or broth
- 1/2 tsp or more salt
- Crumbled tortilla chips for garnish avocado and other garnishes and lime juice
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook for 3 minutes Add jalapeno, bell peppers and mix and cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the spices and herbs and mix in. Add a pinch of allspice or loves for additional flavor if you wish. Add the washed and drained lentils and water and cook for 11 to 12 minutes or until al dente.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, mix well. Add other additions such as 1/2 cup corn or cooked black beans, veggies, some chopped up corn tortilla at this point. Cook for 10 minutes or until desired consistency. Taste and adjust salt and heat.
- Add a dash of lime juice, garnish with chips, avocado, cilantro. See IP instructions in Notes.
Instant Pot: Saute the onion, garlic, jalapeno and peppers for 5 minutes. Add the rest of the ingredients and a total of 2 cups of water. Close the lid on sealing and cook on manual for 3 minutes. Let the pressure release naturally. Taste and adjust, garnish and serve.
Nutrition is 1 of 2 serves