Flavorful Spanish Chickpea Stew with Cumin scented Cauliflower Broccoli Rice. Smoky tomatoey 30 Minute Spanish Chickpea Stew can be served over rice or grains or cauliflower or broccoli rice. Vegan Gluten-free Nut-free Grain-free Soy-free Recipe. Jump to Recipe
This Spanish Stew is smoky, tomatoey, 1 Pot and amazing and comes together really quickly. If you already have some rice to serve it over, then this is a One Pot meal and ready within 30 minutes!
I serve the stew over rice, or cauliflower rice, or broccoli + cauliflower rice. Cauliflower and Broccoli are riced in a processor. They are flavored with toasted cumin, salt and lemon and steamed to make a fluffy al dente cooked mixture. The Stew uses onion and tomato base with bay leaves, paprika and oregano for flavor. Chickpeas and veggies are simmered for 10 to 15 minutes to develop flavor and served. Add in some baby greens towards to end. The stew gets tastier the longer it sits. Change up the beans or spices and make it your own.
More Stews and Instant Pot Stews from the blog
- Brown Rice Mung Bean Kitchari
- Ethiopian Kik Alich – Split Pea Stew
- Cannelini Bean and Black Bean Chili
- Instant Pot Eggplant Curry
- Brown Chickpea Coconut curry
Use other beans or lentils for variation in this stew. Add garnishes such as onion, cilantro, avocado. If you make this easy stew, please do rate and comment on this recipe post!
Did you know we appear to have deposited a layer of waste across Earth’s surface that weighs 100,000 times more than all of humanity? A major portion of that is e-waste or technology waste. So what can we do? For e-waste, extend the life by caring for the device, use efficient devies, donate old electronics, recycle with certified electronic and battery recycle places.
Both the stew and cauliflower broccoli rice can cook in parallel and you have a bowl within half an hour.
VIDEO! Subscribe to my Youtube Channel for all Video Recipes
Spanish Chickpea Stew with Cauliflower Broccoli Rice
- 1 tsp oil
- 1/2 cup (80 g) chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 12 oz (340.2 g) of canned diced tomatoes unsalted, or 2 large juicy tomatoes
- 1 inch ginger
- 3/4 tsp (0.75 tsp) paprika smoky or a combination of sweet and smoky
- 1/2 to 3/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) or more cayenne
- a generous dash of black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) dried oregano
- 1 15 oz (433 g) can chickpeas drained or 1.5 cups cooked chickpeas
- 1.5 cups (273 g) vegetables chopped small such as cauliflower, carrots, zucchini, green or red bell pepper
- 1 cup (250 ml) or more water
- 1/2 to 3/4 tsp salt depends on if the chickpeas are already salted
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) sugar or maple syrup or other sweetener
Cumin Scented Cauliflower Broccoli Rice:
- 1.5 cups (151 g) cauliflower florets or 1 cup grated or shredded heaped
- 1.5 cups (137.41 g) broccoli florets or 1 scant cup shredded
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) oil
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) or more salt
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) garlic
- 1 dash of cayenne optional
- a good dash of lemon juice
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook until translucent, stirring occasionally. 3 mins.
- Meanwhile, blend the tomato with the ginger to puree and keep ready. Alternatively use tomato puree and minced ginger.
- Add the spices to the saucepan and mix for a few seconds. Add tomato ginger puree to the saucepan and cook for 4 minutes until starting to thicken, stir occasionally. (add a tbsp tomato paste for color and flavor if using fresh tomatoes).
- Add the chickpeas and the vegetables and mix in. Add water and salt, sugar/sweetener and cook partially covered for 10 to 12 minutes until vegetables are tender. Fold in baby spinach or greens at this point if using. Taste and adjust salt and heat. Add a dash of lemon to balance if needed.
Cumin scented Cauliflower Broccoli rice:
- Grate or shred the cauliflower and broccoli in a food processor. Pulse until it is evenly shredded. Heat oil over medium in a skillet. Add cumin seeds and let them start to change color. 1 minute. Add grated cauliflower and broccoli mix well. Add salt, garlic and cayenne and mix well. Reduce heat to medium low. Cover and cook for 4 to 5 minutes. Add a dash of lemon fluff and cover and let it continue to steam in its own heat for another 2 minutes.
- Add individual serving to bowls with the chickpea stew, some cilantro, chopped red onion, crunchy veggies or greens. Serve hot.