Ethiopian Kik Alicha is a very mild, no spice lentil preparation. For a spicier Wat version, add some Berbere spice blend like this Missir Wat/Wot – Red lentil stew.
Ethiopian food is becoming my next favorite food right after Indian food. I need to pick up some books with information about how the flavors came about and the basics of ethiopian food. Leave me suggestions in the comments. I am planning to get myself Kittee’s Papa Tofu loves Ethiopian soon.
Its the day after my yoga therapy and my eyes can barely read. so a short post today..
In some awesome news EU will not allow any animal tested cosmetics and toiletries!
And my Roasted Butternut, Balsamic Caramelized onion, Sriracha Mayo sandwich got shared by MFA, Woodstock Farm Sanctuary and VegNews!
For More Daals, Lentil Stews, Bean curries see here.
Ethiopian Split Pea stew - Kik Alicha. Vegan Glutenfree Recipe
- 1/4 cup (36.25 g) dry split yellow peas soak overnight or 2 hours
- 1/4 cup (36.25 g) dry split green peas soak overnight or 2 hours
- 1 1/2 cups (375 ml) water
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1/2 (0.5) red onion chopped
- 4-5 garlic cloves minced
- 2 teaspoons ginger minced
- 1/3 teaspoon (0.33 teaspoon) turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) salt or to taste
- black pepper to taste
- Add a 1/2 teaspoon berbere spice blend for a spicier Wat version
- Add a chopped Serrano pepper.
- Soak the split peas overnight or at least 2 hours in warm water, drain and rinse.
- In a deep pan, add oil, add onions, ginger and garlic and cook stirring occasionally, until translucent.(add chopped Serrano or Jalapeno if using)
- Add the turmeric and mix well.
- Add rinsed split peas, salt, pepper and water. Mix, cover and bring to a boil on medium heat.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer, partially covered for 35-45 minutes or until peas have softened to your desired consistency. Taste and adjust salt and spice if needed.
- Or use a Pressure cooker: Pressure cook for 1 whistle on high and then on low for 15 minutes. ( Pressure cook for 8 to 10 minutes after the pressure is reached for electric pressure cooker, then natural release). The pictures are of the pressure cooked stew.
- Mash the peas if desired. Add some lemon juice if desired and serve. Tastes best with a sour flat bread like Injera.
This infographic is from Vegucated. Here is also a nice article by the team to help transition to a plant based diet.
Where do we get our Calcium..
If you havent watched Vegucated yet.. Please watch the trailer and find a Screening here or watch it on Netflix. Have a wonderful week everyone.