Berbere Spiced Jackfruit Tacos. Jackfruit and onion mixed with Berbere spice blend and baked to caramelized spiced perfection. Add some chickpeas to make into a hearty meal. Vegan Soy-free Nut-free Recipe, Can be Glutenfree
OMG you all, this Berbere Spiced Jackfruit is like pulled jackfruit on crack! Berbere crack. Make a triple, no quadruple recipe and freeze and make tacos, wraps, sandwiches or what not. Just make it.
It takes 15 Minutes to put together. Process everything in a processor to shred. Mix in the spices, spread on a sheet, bake and Done! No saute-ing needed. No extra flavoring, caramelizing or crisping steps. You can make your own Berbere Blend or get some online.
Let me tell you what is going to happen when you try this spiced jackfruit. You will remember the flavor burst from every bite, and promptly forget all other jackfruit tacos! It is so good.
More Jackfruit Recipes
- Crispy Jackfruit Tenders So Good
- Easy Jackfruit Curry
- Vegan Tinga bowl with Hearts of Palm, Chickpeas, Spanish Rice – Sub hearts of palm with shredded jackfruit.
- Jackfruit Meatballs Tacos
- Jackfruit Chickpea Coconut Stir Fry
- Jamaican Jerk Jackfruit, Caribbean Bean Wraps.
You can use other spice blends like garam masala, shawarma, Jamaican jerk, but I am digging the berbere profile right now. You can also use shredded hearts of palm to sub jackfruit. Or some shredded sweet potato or butternut. The baking time will be less with sweet potato like veggies.
No Extra pans sauteing or anything required. Just mix and spread.
Baked Yummyness, try to not eat it all.
Add to tacos, wraps, sandwiches. Add crunchy veggies and dressing. Yuhumm!
Easily gluten-free with corn tortillas. I use wheat tortillas made in Rotimatic.
Yumm Take 2
Berbere Spiced Jackfruit Tacos - 1 Pot
- 20 oz can jackfruit
- 1 medium onion roughly chopped
- 8 cloves of garlic , more the merrier
- 1 tbsp oil , olive or safflower
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp or more paprika i use 1 tsp smoked and 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 2 tsp berbere spice blend , less or more to heat and flavor preferene
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon optional
- 1/4 tsp or more cayenne if berbere is not hot
- 1 to 2 tbsp bbq sauce
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tsp soy sauce or use coconut aminos for soy-free or omit
- Squeeze the jackfruit in between paper towels to remove as much liquid as possible. It is ok if it squishes.
- Process with onion, garlic and jackfruit in a prcessor until coarsely shredded. Alternatively, finely chop the onion and garlic and finely chop/shred the jackfruit.
- Transfer to a bowl and mix in the spices and sauces well. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spread the mixture on a parchment lined baking sheet so its an even layer.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 35 to 40 minutes. Mix and spread after 20 minutes to move the center portion out. Also taste at this time for salt, heat and flavor. Adjust if needed and mix in.
- Prep your tortillas. Add a good helping of the jackfruit mixture. Add cucumbers or other crunchy veggies. Add a creamy dressing like tahini dressing, or vegan ranch dressing or tzaztiki (See notes)