Instant Pot Eggplant Sweet Potato Lentil Curry. Mung Beans, lentils, spices, sweet potato and eggplant make a filling curry or soup. Use other veggies of choice. Vegan Gluten-free Soy-free Nut-free Recipe. Make it in a saucepan or InstantPot Pressure Cooker. Easily made oil-free.
This 1 Pot Sweet Potato Eggplant and Lentil Curry is easy, flavorful and comes together quickly. I make variations of this often with brown or green lentils, green mung beans, a combination of the two, different veggies and spices. The combination of earthy lentils, hearty mung beans and veggies like eggplant and sweet potato makes for an amazing meal. Use any veggies of choice.
Serve this hearty warming bowl as a soup or as dal with rice or grains or flatbread. Make it with various spice blends as garam masala or berbere or baharat (from my book (get both now with holiday deals and super low prices!).
See video below for the curry with brown lentils and mung beans.
More Instant Pot Recipes
- Instant Pot Vegan Butter Chickin(soycurls). GF
- Lentil Veggie Dhansak – Lentil Veggie Stew in IP. GF
- Kohlapuri Veggies – Veggies in sesame coconut sauce GF
- Mushroom Matar Masala GF
- Aloo Palak Dal- Potato Spinach Lentils in IP. GF
- Eggplant Sambhar – Eggplant Split pea soup
- Aloo Gobi – Spiced potato and cauliflower
When doubling soups and curries, double everything except water. Use atleast quarter amount less than double, so 3.5 cups water when doubled. 3 cups for thicker consistency.
Instant Pot Eggplant Sweet Potato Lentil Curry. Mung Beans, lentils, spices, sweet potato and eggplant make a filling curry or soup. Use other veggies of choice. Vegan Gluten-free Soy-free Nut-free Recipe. Make it in a saucepan or InstantPot Pressure Cooker. Easily made oil-free
- 3/4 cup lentils or a mix of (brown/green) lentils and mung beans , soaked in warm hot water for atleast 15 mins
- 1 tsp oil , or use water to saute to make oil-free
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic chopped
- an inch of ginger chopped
- 1/2 or 1 hot green chile chopped
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 to 1 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin or ground coriander
- 15 oz tomatoes 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup (heaping) chopped eggplant , or use other hearty vegetables of choice
- 1 cup cubed sweet potatoes
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 2 cups water 3 cups for saucepan
- a big handful of spinach
- cayenne and lemon/lime to taste
- pepper flakes for garnish
Soak the lentils if you havent already and get the ingredients ready, Switch the IP to saute. Add oil and let it get hot.
Add onion, garlic, ginger, chile and a pinch of salt. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, stir frequently.
Add spices and mix in. Add tomatoes and cook for 4 to 5 minutes. Mash larger pieces.
- Add the veggies, salt, lentils and water and mix in.
Close the lid, to sealing, and cook on manual for 11 to 12 minutes (on high pressure). Let the pressure release naturally.
Fold in spinach, cayenne and lemon./lime. Let it sit for 2 mins or saute for 2 mins.. Adjust consistency if needed by adding a bit more water or non dairy milk for creamier and mix in. Taste and adjust salt, spices (add more garam masala or curry powder if needed).
Serve with flatbread or rice/cooked grains or as a soup with crackers.
To make in a saucepan: Follow steps 1 to 3 in a saucepan. Add eggplant, lentils, salt and 3 cups of water instead of 2. Partially cover and cook for 20 minutes. Then add sweet potatoes and mix in. Continue to cook for another 15+ minutes (total 35 to 45 minutes) or until lentils are tender.
Nutrition is 1 of 4 serves