Vegan Lentil Shepherd’s Pie – Mushroom and Lentil Shepherdless Pie with Gravy and Garlic mashed potatoes. Gluten-free Nut-free Recipe. Can be soy-free oil-free. Vegetarian Shepherds Pie.
In my series of traditional and simple holiday favorites, the next dish is this Delicious Lentil Mushroom Shepherdless Pie. Garlic mashed Potatoes over mushrooms, onion, lentils, veggies mixed with a bit of gravy, baked, then served with more of my 1 Pot gravy!
The pie comes together quickly once you have your potatoes done and the veggies assembled. You can cook the lentils and potatoes in the Instant Pot with PIP(pot in pot method), see recipe notes, or in separate pots and make ahead. I like my pie on the wet side, use less or more of the gravy with the lentils to preference. Add seasonal veggies or other root vegetables. I love the garlic breadcrumb and herb topping from my chickpea sweet potato shepherd’s pie on this. It elevates the flavor to a whole new level. Lets get cooking for Thanksgiving.
Combine the cooked lentils, sauteed mushrooms + veggies , gravy, herbs and spices. The picture below is prebaking (ready for the potato layer) and the sauce dries up significantly.
More Mains for the Holidays
- Lentil Quinoa Loaf. a fave
- Cauliflower Steaks with mushroom gravy GF
- Chickpea Veggie “meatloaf”
- Cauliflower Alfredo, Spinach, Artichoke Lasagna. can be GF
- Easy Vegan Veggie Lasagna. Can be GF
- Whole Roasted Cauliflower with creamy makhani sauce . GF , perfect for non traditional gatherings
This shepherd’s pie does take some time, but divide up make ahead, then layer and store until ready on bake on the day.
Vegan Lentil Shepherd's Pie - Mushroom Lentil Shepherdless Pie
- 1 tsp oil
- 1/2 (0.5 ) medium onion
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 8 oz mushrooms cremini, white or a mix with portobello
- 3/4 cup (96 g) chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup (50.5 g) chopped celery
- 1 tsp fresh or 1/2 dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) dried sage
- 1.5 cups (297 g) cooked brown lentils 1.25 to 1.5 cups, drained well, see note to cook in Instant pot
- 1/3 cup (72.5 g) peas
- 1/3 cup (78.67 g) Vegan Gravy and more for serving, or mix 1 tbsp veggie broth, 1 tsp cornstarch, 1 tsp vegan worchestershire sauce, a good dash of onion and garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) salt
- 1 tbsp bbq sauce or 2 tsp tomato paste (optional)
- black pepper to taste
- extra virgin olive oil and thyme for topping
- Prepare your mashed potatoes and vegan gravy and set aside. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Pulse the onion, garlic, mushrooms in a processor, or chop all by hand.
- Add onion mushroom mixture to a skillet with a good pinch of salt and 1 tsp oil over medium heat and cook for 8 minutes or until the moisture from the mushrooms is starting to dry. Add the carrots, celery, other chopped vegetables (upto 1 cup), herbs, 1/4 tsp salt and cook for another 5 to 6 minutes.
- Alternatively, brush oil on the baking dish. Add the chopped onion mushroom mixture and bake for 12 to 14 minutes, then add the carrots, celery, other chopped root vegetables, mix in and continue to bake for another 8 minutes.
- Fold in the lentils, peas, bbq sauce, gravy, black pepper and mix in (in the baking dish or mix in the the skillet and transfer to the baking dish). Taste and adjust salt and flavor. Add less or more gravy to preference.
- Layer the mashed potatoes on top. Use a spatula to even ithem out.
- Add a drizzle of olive oil and a dash of thyme and pepper, or top with these garlic breadcrumbs.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Broil for a minute to brown. Cool for a few minutes before serving. The pie keeps thickening on cooling. Serve with gravy or other toppings of choice. Leftovers will keep in the refrigerator for 4 days.