Vegan Malai Ladoo. Sweet Fudge balls that are flavored with cardamom. Festive Indian Sweet. Dairy-free Ladoo. Vegan Glutenfree Soyfree Recipe. Can be oilfree. Jump to Recipe
Happy Diwali to all who are celebrating! Another year, another festival, another vegan-ized Indian Dessert.
Malai Ladoo (direct translation- cream balls) are generally made with heavy cream and some milk powder or milk solids, cooked with sugar to thicken and then shaped. I use cashew cream and almond flour to get a similar flavor and texture. These Fudgy balls are somewhat like my Malai Burfi bars, but smoother and more melt in the mouth. Burfi are hardy to handle them as bars. While malai ladoo balls are softer and fudgier.
Malai ladoo are known for their creamy texture. These balls use cashews, almond flour, coconut flour, vegan cream cheese and cardamom. Few ingredients and ready within 20 mins. Surprise everyone with these non dairy treats! Use saffron or other flavors for variation.
More Diwali Sweets and Savories from the blog
- Gajar Halwa- Carrot Spoon fudge GF.
- Mango Sheera / Halwa
- Mango Burfi – GF Bars
- Kesar Peda – GF Saffron almond fudge cookies
- 7 Cup Burfi – Chickpea flour coconut Fudge. GF
- Vermicelli Kheer Pudding – GF option
- More Indian Sweets like Gulab jamun, Kaju Katli,Laddoos.
Savory Snacks and Meals:
- Potato Rice Crackers. GF
- Potato Quinoa Patties.
- Butter Tofu – Tofu in tomato Cream Sauce GF
- Coconut Korma GF
These are difficult to make without the nuts. Try my besan ladoo from Indian kitchen book instead for a nutfree ladoo.
If you make these, do let me know in the comments and rate the recipe!
Vegan Malai Ladoo. Sweet Fudge balls that are flavored with cardamom. Festive Indian Sweet. Dairy-free Ladoo. Vegan Glutenfree Soyfree Recipe. Can be oilfree.
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1/3 cup water
- 3 tbsp vegan cream cheese (I use kite hill almond). See notes for subs
- 3 tbsp sugar (cane, coconut or other, or use maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 tbsp fine almond flour
- 1 tbsp coconut flour
- 4 tbsp vegan powdered sugar
- seeds from 2 cardamom pods ,crushed coarsely
- 1/8 tsp ground cardamom
- 1 tsp oil or vegan butter , omit for oilfree
- Soak the cashews for atleast an hour.
Drain and blend with 1/3 cup water until smooth. Add the cream cheese, sugar and salt and blend again until smooth.
Transfer to a skillet. Use 2 tbsp water to rinse out the blender and add to the skillet. Cook over medium low heat for 10 mins, stir occasionally. The mixture will get lumpy then evenly thicken.
- Add the flours, sugar and mix in. Continue to cook for another 10 mins.
- Fold in the cardamom and oil and continue to cook until the mixture starts to leave the pan (see pic above).
- Cool, then chill for an hour before shaping into balls. Coat in shredded coconut if you wish. Serve chilled.
- Refrigerate for upto 4 days and freeze for upto a month.
If using other vegan cream cheese brand, use 1-2 tbsp.
You can also use 2 tbsp vegan yogurt instead of the 3 tbsp cream cheese.
Blend in 8 strands of saffron with the cashews for a saffron(kesar) malai ladoo.
Use cinnamon or other spices for variation in flavor.
Nutrition is for 1 ladoo ball