This Banana Walnut Breakfast Loaf makes a great on the go breakfast. Bananas, spices and no added refined sugar. Free of Dairy, egg, corn, soy, gluten. Makes a medium bread pan.
This Breakfast Loaf has been sitting in my drafts since March. Quick to put together, with warm spices, Oat, rice, amaranth and almond flours, and a great snack as well. Add more nuts, other nuts and seeds, add cooked quinoa to the batter. Slice these up and carry everywhere. This loaf is gluten-free and refined sugar free. It can be easily made with gluten as well with any whole grain flour. For a regular wheat based banana bread, see this One Bowl Banana Apple Bread Loaf. For GF muffins see these gluten-free Banana chocolate chunk muffins.
Walnuts are a great source of fatty acids, they help lower bad cholesterol and increase good cholesterol, vit E and B complex groups, manganese, copper, iron, potassium and have anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory benefits.
Bananas of course are a pretty much over all awesome food. The sweetness eliminates the need for added sugars, the bulk eliminates the need for oil, all the potassium, fiber and B6 and this is one packed loaf.
Make this Gluten-free Banana Walnut Bread!
Why do I make smaller loafs you ask. Hubbs is allergic to Banana, and there is only so much snacking I can do. I prefer savory breakfast and snacks. The recipe can be doubled easily.
And someone please keep bugging me till I make gluten-free flour mix recipes for breads, cakes and bakes, so the recipe can say use a cup of my gf flour blend. 🙂
More Banana options from the blog.
This Banana Oat Quinoa Quick Bread bar.
Banana Walnut Brown Rice Pudding parfait. GF
Ginger Spiced Banana Chocolate Chip Cookies. GF
Banana Oatmeal Quinoa Cookies
And definitely use the fresh walnuts in these Carrot Cake pancakes!. GF option
Mash the banana with the other wet ingredients.
Mix the dry ingredients and drop in a pan and bake.
One of the rare sunny days from March. It is partly cloudy today. If you see me disappear from the blog this Summer, you will know it is Sunny that day 😉
All baked and ready and the house smells amazing!
Banana Walnut Bread - Gluten free Banana Bread
- 2 ripe medium Bananas
- 1 Tbsp oil optional
- 1/4 cup (61 ml) non dairy milk
- 2-3 Tbsp (2 - 3 Tbsp) maple syrup depends on the ripeness of the banana
- 1/8 tsp (0.13 tsp) salt
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (60 g) Oat flour certified gluten-free
- 1/4 cup (28 g) almond flour
- 1/4 cup (40 g) white rice flour
- 1/4 cup (30 g) amaranth flour or sorghum or millet or use half flour and half starch for lighter loaf.
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch or arrowroot starch
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) baking powder
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) baking soda
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) cloves
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) ginger
- 1/3 cup (39 g) chopped walnuts
- Pre-heat the oven to 365 degrees F / 180ºc.
- Mash the bananas well. then mix in all the wet ingredients.
- In a bowl, mix all the dry ingredients. Add to the wet and mix to combine.
- Fold in the walnuts. Drop the batter in a greased pan.
- Even it out and bake for 40 minutes.Check with a toothpick from the center. it should come out almost clean. Bake longer if needed.
- I used very ripe bananas. Use stevia/sugar to preference if the bananas are not sweet enough for the loaf. Or if the loaf is already baked and not sweet enough, serve warm with light maple drizzle.