Chana Dal Veggie Soup. Easy Split Pea Soup with turmeric, spices, carrots, cauliflower, butternut squash. 1 Pot, ready within 45 minutes. Use split chickpeas (Chana Dal) or other split peas or lentils. Vegan Gluten-free Soy-free Recipe
I was trying to write this post yesterday late afternoon when the day was going down in history of the world one way or the other.
Hubbs says, life has to go on and doing things we love is where to find healing and hope. So here I am today, processing, cooking, breathing, appreciating what we have, and motivated to do so much more.
This bowl of soup with warming spices, chana dal, carrots, cauliflower, butternut squash is easy and wonderful for fall. These colors and flavors are bringing my love to you.
More Dals and Soups
Try this Lentil Chard Dal or this restaurant style Punjabi Dal Fry (video recipe). Mom’s favorite Sabut Masoor – or Brown Lentil Soup. Make a Sri Lankan Red Lentil Curry for an incredibly flavorful no garlic version. Make the dal into a meal by cooking grains with it like this Brown Rice and Lentil soup, or Mung Bean Brown rice Kitchari. As with most dals, often the lentils and beans can be used interchangeably (adjust water and cooking time depending on the lentil or bean).
Chana Dal and split peas can be notorious about cooking times. Ideally they should be soaked for some time and should cook within 30 to 40 minutes. But older batch split peas can take much longer to cook. Cook until al dente before adding the veggies. You might need more water if cooking for longer.
Chana Dal Veggie Soup
- 1/2 cup (96 g) chana dal split chickpeas, washed or use yellow split peas (preferably soaked for half an hour)
- 3 cups (750 ml) water
- 1 tsp oil
- 1/2 (0.5) a medium onion chopped
- 5 cloves of garlic chopped
- 1/2 inch (0.5 inch) ginger finely chopped
- 1 tsp garam masala or use 1/2 tsp cumin + 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 2 juicy tomatoes pureed or 1 1/4 cup
- 1.5 cups (273 g) or more veggies chopped small I used sliced carrots, small cauliflower florets and cubed butternut squash
- 3/4 tsp (0.75 tsp) or more salt
- cilantro and lemon for garnish
- Combine chana dal and water in a saucepan, partially cover and cook over medium heat for 30 mins or al dente.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, ginger and cook for 5 mins.
- Add the spices and mix in. Cook for a minute.
- Add pureed tomato and bring to a boil. Add the veggies and mix in.
- Add to the simmering chana dal or split peas. Add 1/2 to 1 cup water and salt. Mix and cook for 15 minutes or until veggies are cooked to preference.
- Add a dash of lemon juice. Taste and adjust salt and heat.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve as a soup in a bowl or over rice or other grains of choice, or with flatbread or pita bread.